Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

upndsky

Freightdog 4 Life
Through a couple of friends that work there, I may get a chance at a Colgan interview. I was just wondering if there were any Colgan pilots out there that were married and commuted. I'm married with a house, mortgage and all the liablities that come with family life.

Right now, I don't see how we could make ends meet with what Colgan pays and having to pay for a crashpad at whatever station I may be based. Moving is not an option due to my wife's work.

I've also got a shot at a couple of Part 135 freight jobs that are based where I live. The money is probably the same and I get to live at home. The difference is that it's piston equipment vs 121 turboprop stuff. Any input from Colgan pilots out there is appreciated. Please no opinions about how good or bad Colgan is. Thanks.

company is a scab place to work...they take every short cut in the book

Excuse me jacka@@????

Who are the scabs working here and what shortcuts are you referring to?

You've got 3 posts to your name, and a whopping 1300 hours. You've been in the industry so long that you can make these accusations?

Did they turn you down for a job and your pissed???

Let's here some facts???

<<Right now, I don't see how we could make ends meet with what Colgan pays and having to pay for a crashpad at whatever station I may be based. Moving is not an option due to my wife's work.>>

You're right, it's very difficult to survive on first years FO pay and second years pay isn't much better. Depending where you live, and where you're based, commuting may not be that big a deal. Some of the bases have crashpads as low as $150 a month and are close enough to the airport that a car isn't needed. Schedules have been pretty commuter friendly lately and should stay that way. Most people have a 3 or 4 on, with 3 or 4 off schedule. Most people do commute, and quite a few of them are married.

<<I've also got a shot at a couple of Part 135 freight jobs that are based where I live. The money is probably the same and I get to live at home. The difference is that it's piston equipment vs 121 turboprop stuff. Any input from Colgan pilots out there is appreciated. Please no opinions about how good or bad Colgan is. Thanks.>>

You have to do what's right for you. If your goal is to work for an airline and build time quickly, Colgan is a good place to be. On the 1900 side of the house, we're getting an all D fleet soon and have 5 or 6 flying the line already. We're picking up new routes and our loads have been very impressive this summer.

PM me for any additional information you want.

chperplt, thanks for the informative reply. The Part 135 outfit flies freight and you average around 800 hrs/year PIC. Pay is probably comparable and I get to sleep in my own bed. Also, there's no training contract. I'm seriously considering going that route and building some good time, then apply to a larger regional like ASA, ACA or Comair. On the flip side, of course, it would be nice to fly in an airconditioned King Air. I'll apply and see what happens. If I don't get the job, all this is moot.

Furlough, if you don't have anything constructive to say, keep it to yourself or post your sour grapes elsewhere. At least have the decency to respect a poster's request asking for no opinions about a company. It's people like you that turn an otherwise innocent thread into a slam fest.

Latest resources

Back