• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan ALPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So here's the deal... it's time. Yep, we need to start thinking about this job as a little more than a quick upgrade or just getting to our 1500 PIC. I'm not sure where else to start talking about this other than here. Just admit it... we are all scared to take the first step for fear of our jobs. They don't want it, but WE do! All of you do. Well most of you do, and most are willing to admit it, but not put your name to it.

There is a way to get this done, and not end up on some Colgan black list...

For it or against it, lets hear it.

It's time to grow up and get treated for the professionals that we are. You are all hard working pilots and it's time we have a united voice.

If there is a vote, are you in?

well lets take the average pilot salary at 32k a year (average between capt and fo) multiply that by 2% union dues. that gets you $640. multiply that by 350 pilots. that gets you 224,000 bucks a year. I don't think that will get much interst from alpa or any other union.

Really I am not informed enought on this subject. From what I gather we will just wind up buying a really expensive magazine subscription and pissing off management. I have not felt the need to have a union. I think we are getting paid competitively with other turboprop flyers. Yeah second year FO pay sucks but they are working on that and have realized that. Maybe if another people out there would give some good reasons why and how our lives at Colgan could be improved I would listen.

CommutAir was able to interest ALPA, with a smaller pilot group and lower average salary. Hope you have better success at it than they did, though. Apathy was the order of the day for 57% of that group, unfortunately.

As a Colgan refugee, I can tell you that there are trade offs when you consider a Unionizing carrier. There are some issues at Colgan that need to be addressed like outstation basing and the notorious Colgan Tours of part 91 flying. With the recent growth at Colgan, I'm sure there are new issues I never experienced.I'm sure guys who are there now can speak with more authority than me. You may want to consider an independent association first. The one thing I miss about that place was being able to call someone named Colgan when I needed a favor. Most of the time, I got it. Also there are more than a few senior captains, who I believe are still there who were seriously anti-alpa. Good luck!!

Last edited:
As a Colgan refugee, I can tell you that there are trade offs when you consider a Unionizing carrier. There are some issues at Colgan that need to be addressed like outstation basing and the notorious Colgan Tours of part 91 flying. With the recent growth at Colgan, I'm sure there are new issues I never experienced.I'm sure guys who are there now can speak with more authority than me. You may want to consider an independent association first. The one thing I miss about that place was being able to call someone named Colgan when I needed a favor. Most of the time, I got it. Also there are more than a few senior captains, who I believe are still there who were seriously anti-alpa. Good luck!!

thanks but it is probably never going to happen. nobody is vested that heavily here anyway. a old timer is anyone over 4 years.

CommutAir was able to interest ALPA, with a smaller pilot group and lower average salary. Hope you have better success at it than they did, though. Apathy was the order of the day for 57% of that group, unfortunately.

The movement to unionize failed twice. First I don't see ALPA as a cure-all or even a step in the right direction for an airline of our size. It seems in pilot populations much larger than ours, ALPA is vertually powerless. Ask the guys at Transstates who are watching Go Jet Scabs fly their planes around. The reality is that there are at least three less experienced folks willing to do my job for half the money. Its called supply and demand. The tides going to turn in a few years. The trend has already started....pilot trainees are down over 50% over the last 5 years.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back