• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan Air, then what?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Meanwhile you encouraged executives to treat you like dirt and pay you crap while you "got in and got out." This type of sacrificial attitude is what has dragged the pay and standard of live for nearly half of the US domestic pilots down into the toilet. If you covet those mainline jobs stand up for the basic rights of the profession regardless of where your current seat is.

OK.....Since you suggested it, lets do it. DO IT! Where are you going to start? Even at unionized companies these recent days there is no leverage with FUEL as it is.

I was there twice for a total of four years (Vanguard for a few months before they shut down), was, most of the time home. It IS a stepping stone to a better job. Have fun trying to change the industry! It is what it is and where it is, and it got this way (or on its way) well before this forum existed!

Actually, it is! its OK if you're embarrassed! I guess you are going to say that the driving a rental car from one base to another is not true either?

Here is your proof!!!:smash:
http://www.westwindaviation.com/American Eagle.htm

Not embarrassed at all. I know about the rental cars. Never did it.
But I do know I haven't yet issued any Commercial Certificates in the sim.
If it's true the training department doesn't know anything about it.

And I canl tell you that Colgan won't be the only one doing it. I've seen it already at other companies at FSI.
Regardless of what the ticket says, they will still have to make it through the training program, checkride and IOE.

PS Just read the ad and if you read the entire ad you'll see that after the job offer they will have to instruct for a year first, which implies a Commercial Certificate. That means that they will have alot more time than alot of newhires by the time they come online.

Last edited:
Actually, it is! its OK if you're embarrassed! I guess you are going to say that the driving a rental car from one base to another is not true either?

Here is your proof!!!:smash:
http://www.westwindaviation.com/American Eagle.htm

I think that if a rental car allows me to get home earlier (most of the times a day early) then I will gladly drive. If it means driving for 3 hours and not being stuck in the crap holes that are PHL and LGA for 4 hours, I will gladly drive. If it means driving 45 min from Syracuse to Ithaca or Ithaca to Binghamton instead of sitting in the back flying to PHL or LGA then back to pretty near where I started, then I will gladly drive a rental car with the radio blasting and my phone turned off so they can't get a hold of me (cause talking while driving is dangerous). Sometimes the open road is a pretty sweet place to be.

OK.....Since you suggested it, lets do it. DO IT! Where are you going to start? Even at unionized companies these recent days there is no leverage with FUEL as it is.

I was there twice for a total of four years (Vanguard for a few months before they shut down), was, most of the time home. It IS a stepping stone to a better job. Have fun trying to change the industry! It is what it is and where it is, and it got this way (or on its way) well before this forum existed!

Well said.

What should I do? Quit my job and go to the unemployment line for the betterment of the industry? And before you say I never should have gone to Colgan, back when I got hired Colgan wasn't bothering nobody, and it offered me a chance to be home every night, a quick upgrade and a decent quality of life. I have never felt like I was bringing the industry down putzing around in my Saab. I feel like our current management is trying to bring down the industry, but I don't have a lot of choices right now but sit and wait for the next vote in August/or merger with Pinnacle whatever. If I get on with a major or whoever I will not regret using Colgan as a stepping stone, it is what it is. I guess I just don't like being made out to be an clown who is stabbing every other pilot in the back, when my decisions were made based on my family and quality of life, and my family will continue to be ahead of all you other clowns. I don't think the major guys want to fly my Saab anyway.. Now the E-jets...thats another story.

Geez, with an attitude like that, you deserve whatever second rate outfit you end up working for!!!!

Geez, with an attitude like that, you deserve whatever second rate outfit you end up working for!!!!

Does that imply that there is such thing as a first rate regional? :confused:

Last edited:
why does colgan have guys hop in rental cars to drive from one base to another???? what kind of company does that? it happens all the time!!!!

Honestly I've requested they rent me a car when I am doing a 2-day TDY tour between bases. A 1-2 hour drive through the countryside between Binghamton and Rochester is a Hell of allot better than getting stuck in Philly or LGA!

Honestly I've requested they rent me a car when I am doing a 2-day TDY tour between bases. A 1-2 hour drive through the countryside between Binghamton and Rochester is a Hell of allot better than getting stuck in Philly or LGA!

Especially with the six-pack! Did the same thing when I was there!

I'd like to know where you could go when you get your magic 1000. Let me know so I can find my way there. But with gas at 100 and change a barrel and 4 carriers going down nobody is going anywhere soon.

Latest resources

Back