• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan Air, then what?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
is it true that Colgan is interviewing Private pilots at flight schools and guaranteeing them jobs when they finish their Comm multi IR?

Goto Colgan, and fly the dash out of ewr for pennies.

is it true that Colgan is interviewing Private pilots at flight schools and guaranteeing them jobs when they finish their Comm multi IR?

No...

I don't agree with the "get your time and get out" theory.

Why would you waste six months of your career at a place you really don't want to work making low pay? You can make more money with almost any other flying job. It doesn't have to be as a CFI. There are other opportunities for low time guys.

Get 6 months of flight time and you will then have the option of where you would like to go. Make sure it is a place you wouldn't mind staying at for 4+ years. The 1000 PIC to a major is very limited right now since Delta, Northwest, United, FedEx, and Southwest are not hiring. If oil prices stay high there will be no get in and get out at the regionals (i.e. 2001-04).

Plus, when you do get your interview one day at a major they would prefer stability and a longer term employment history at your previous employer. What kind of employee are you going to be when you have worked at 2-3 different regionals, the shortest of which was for 6 months? If I were the interviewer I would think this person has either had problems or is going to jump ship at the first opportunity after being hired. (Does he really want to be here, or is he going to stay only until his first choice calls him back?)

My $.02. Look at the bigger picture.

To give you the big picture, I was with Colgan for 3 years, got my 1000 pic puting up with what most guys in the barbie jets would call hell and went to a major. I too was home every night and enjoyed the guys I flew with a ton......It was a good carrier for a stepping stone, and would not have traded the experience for any other regional.

Good luck

This is like "Do I go for the girl that is 5'2" and weighs 175 or the girl that is 6'1" and weighs 205?"

No matter how much lipstick you put on it, it's still a pig. Get more flight time and try either a better regional or get your turbine experience elsewhere. If you have to go for one or the other, be based at home.

Mr. I.
Or be like most and get the beer goggles at 2 am during closing time and GO YEEEEEHAAAAA it pig huntin' time.

Don't go with the Shiny Jet Syndrome kids. They're a bunch of retards.
Get some prop time, it doesn't really matter what it's in as long as the power levers aren't
overhead "a-la-Twin Otter".

I got hired at everyone's favourite Guppy-operator with only 1900 time. Turbine PIC is all that matters....punching line-select-keys is not the way to get experience. Instead, go hammer out full approach after full approach to mins in the northeast. Maybe throw in a circle at night to a snow covered runway....that puts hair on your left nut.

To give you the big picture, I was with Colgan for 3 years, got my 1000 pic puting up with what most guys in the barbie jets would call hell and went to a major. I too was home every night and enjoyed the guys I flew with a ton......It was a good carrier for a stepping stone, and would not have traded the experience for any other regional.

Good luck

Meanwhile you encouraged executives to treat you like dirt and pay you crap while you "got in and got out." This type of sacrificial attitude is what has dragged the pay and standard of live for nearly half of the US domestic pilots down into the toilet. If you covet those mainline jobs stand up for the basic rights of the profession regardless of where your current seat is.

Good luck

This is how it goes for SOME pilots at Colgan. They usually (though not always) have some sort of connection at the major they end up at. MOST people at Colgan do not simply get their 1000 and get out.

I repeat this IS NOT the norm.

Latest resources

Back