Colgan Air-Commuting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mr Wu said:
You better believe it happens in the real world. You will have plenty of experience holding when you are flying around at 9000' going to BOS or LGA.

I'd agree with this statement. You better know how to hold in either airlplane colgan flys.

Alaska

I thought holds and full approaches were a thing of the past, we never get vectored unless its Anchorage, while I don't go to any other big airports up here, we always shoot the full approach and oftenwe get holds for departing traffic or being 8 in line because a medflight keeps going missed. Thats the day you ask for longer legs and grab your lunch...its gonna be a while. How is it in LGA and BOS? holds for an hour, fifteen minutes? i'd love some more info on them

I get lucky in LGA as soon as I hear the folks up ahead holding I ask to slow to 180. I still end up holding but usually only for about 15 minutes or so. My record personally is 1 hour.

I would say as of late I hold on an average of 1 -2 times per 4 day trip. We get published and non published holds....like "Hold West of the MAD VOR on the 270 radial 10 mile legs." Or "Hold as published at the preno intersection."

Makes Holding on a PC a non event.

After all Colgan is the true "Commuter World"

Thanks a lot for the input, I do appreciate it. I know I things will go well. I mean, how many Convair 580 people apply at another turboprop operator?

No, down in Columbus Ohio. I'm hoping my 121 experience will help me land the job. Only thing is, I'm gonna have to commute from Columbus.

commuting sucks but its doable if you have the right sched at colgan. I commuted from Los Angeles for 6 months. Cass helps, but it's not a must. All cass does is let you ride in the cockpit. If the plane is that full, you are screwed already. You can jumpseat on whoever is out there. I've jumped on China air from IAD to LAX to get home. But commuting will burn you out. You will waste a day off getting home, and another getting to work, plus paying for a crashpad.Just my 2 cents worth, and keep the 2 cents cause you will need it doin the colgan!

Well for all its worth, no jet carrier is gonna touch me. I have been flying the Convair for the majority of my flight time and a reputable carrier lick CHQ wants 2500 + to even call you. So I'm like, well I guess its just more turborpop for me. Colgan was the first to get back. My goal would be to get CRW b/c its only a 2 hour drive.

Latest resources

Back