• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan 3407 Update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My reaction to the cause of this accident may come across as harsh, but I EXPECT MORE of the pilots flying my loved ones.
BBB

Which cause is that? Because all I've seen is speculation, and enough jumping to conclusions to get it in the Olympics. Or are you talking about the cause that will be determined at a future time?

Oh, and no matter how much this crew may or may not have screwed up when the final finding comes out, to think that you're above repeating anyone's mistake is a dangerous attitude. We protect ourselved from repeating those mistakes by studying the facts, and putting ourselved in their shoes, not by wild speculation and criticism based on early reports.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, remind me. Exactly what does pay have to do with anything? I must have missed that part during flight training.

Yeah let's smear some dead pilots who left families behind on a public forum. You're my hero.

I'll remind you. The more qualified pilots apply to the higher paying airlines. The one's left over work at the lower paying airlines. The hiring standards at Colgan were practically non-existent at Colgan a few years ago. There are innocent people dead because of these pilots' mistake. I would not call it smearing, but just because the pilots are dead does not mean they didn't make a mistake. You guys can blame it on the training all you want, but if what the NTSB is saying is true, then this was just horrendous airmanship. These pilots should not have been flying this aircraft to begin with. There are experienced pilots out of work with 1000's of hours that would have no problem flying a Q400 if it paid a decent wage. Unfortunately it doesn't so you are left with some less experienced pilots to fill the void. You should not be building your experience as a 121 captain with an inexperienced pilot in the left seat. The system is broken. There have been a few accidents in the last couple of years at the regionals that could have and should have been avoided. We are very fortunate that there have been as few accidents as there have been with the regionals lack of hiring standards. Instead of raising pay, they lower requirements.

There have been a few accidents in the last couple of years at the regionals that could have and should have been avoided.

And there have been a lot of accidents at majors over the past few decades that could have and should have been avoided... Plenty of high-time, high-dollar pilots have dug smoking holes with their mistakes.

Last edited:
I'll remind you. The more qualified pilots apply to the higher paying airlines. The one's left over work at the lower paying airlines. The hiring standards at Colgan were practically non-existent at Colgan a few years ago. There are innocent people dead because of these pilots' mistake. I would not call it smearing, but just because the pilots are dead does not mean they didn't make a mistake. You guys can blame it on the training all you want, but if what the NTSB is saying is true, then this was just horrendous airmanship. These pilots should not have been flying this aircraft to begin with. There are experienced pilots out of work with 1000's of hours that would have no problem flying a Q400 if it paid a decent wage. Unfortunately it doesn't so you are left with some less experienced pilots to fill the void. You should not be building your experience as a 121 captain with an inexperienced pilot in the left seat. The system is broken. There have been a few accidents in the last couple of years at the regionals that could have and should have been avoided. We are very fortunate that there have been as few accidents as there have been with the regionals lack of hiring standards. Instead of raising pay, they lower requirements.

Well on that dumbass thought, how about one of the highest paid regionals and LEX? That crew dropped the ball pretty bad too!
So your money theory is screwed!

I would not call it smearing, but just because the pilots are dead does not mean they didn't make a mistake. You guys can blame it on the training all you want, but if what the NTSB is saying is true, then this was just horrendous airmanship

The possibility exists that the crew could have mistaken the situation for tailplane icing? In this case, then the aft column movement would have been appropriate..remember while the NTSB, and all the rest of the "hindsight committees" including ourselves on this forum have many hours days weeks to speculate and pour over data, the crew had mere seconds to react to a situation..

The one thing that is suspicious in this investigation is the absence of any information related to power or thrust lever position.

This sounds like it has a lot less to do with proper stall recovery and more to do with a total loss off situational awareness (airspeed/power). The auto pilot kicked off, the nose dropped catching the PF off guard, resulting in the 25lb reflex pull on the control column. I bet that the pull on the control column came well before the application of full power.

I hope I am wrong, but I think we are going to find out there was more being discussed in the cockpit than icing.

Airspeed, Power Settings, Attitude, Bank Angle, Aircraft Configuration, Weather Conditions

eP.

Lol. I've tried shadowing the controls before. The sidestick and thrust levers never move. I learned shadowing them is a waste of time

Which is a problem with the airbus design. No tactile feedback for what the autopilot/autothrottles are doing with YOUR aircraft. Usually, not a problem. Sometimes, a big problem.

Our SOP says that the PF must have his hands/feet in a position to immediately assume control at "lower altitudes" which is defined as anytime the flaps are out.

Not sure if this has any relevance to this accident but thought I'd take a poke at Airbus, it is always a good time for that.

Which is a problem with the airbus design.

Not sure if this has any relevance to this accident but thought I'd take a poke at Airbus, it is always a good time for that.

Felt the same way before I started flying them..actually makes you more aware of pitch attitude thrust speed because one is forced to monitor the FMA more closely

had a bus captain tell me the other day, "don't ever trust 2 check airmen flying together. they blew through the final on a visual because the PF went down in the box as did the PM while they got a sidestep...

the public puts a sacred trust in us

just ask bernie madoffs' clients.. you're not alone

Latest resources

Back