• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan 3407 Down in Buffalo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Would you asshats stop bickering about which news anchor you want to suck off more? Does it really matter in the slightest what CNN on MSNBC are saying? Everyone knows they're talking just to talk so let it go.

Real people with real lives that people here have a personal connection to just died, and you're complaining about which jerkoff news commentator is less accurate.

I'm really glad I fly freight single pilot so I don't have to worry about sitting next to one of you cornholers for days on end.

I'm glad too that you fly single pilot freight.

Sounds like the loss of control happened just after the final flaps setting. If so, the q400 quite aggressively pitches during the transition from 15 to 35 degrees...especially with the auto on. Also, the elevator buffets like crazy while configured at flaps 35. Neither of those scenarios makes me feel good when flying an inverted elevator in icing with the autopilot on.

thats why you shouldn't...

I remember watching this video in training at Piedmont. Not sure if it was during new hire training or during a CQ.

ditto, i think it was played at almost every cq....

thats why you shouldn't...

Yeah, I was also taught the same-in significant icing don't use full flaps, instead land at a reduced setting. I've since done it a few times in different aircraft.

Most airlines don't seem to teach it that way, at least not that I've heard of anyway.

After the American Eagle crash in Indiana several years ago, one of their captains wrote a book called 'Unheeded Warning'. It's been a while since I read it, but if it turns out that this accident was caused by icing, then it will be another case of history repeating itself. It's no secret that the NTSB has been telling the FAA be more proactive when it comes to icing issues. Guess they'll listen now.

NTSB REPORTING.. engines producing tourque, per the CVR: acft was on auto pilot flying the approach.. flaps 15 selected (never made 15, only 10, looks like they where retracted).. Stick shaker and pusher activated, A/P goes off.

Acft came to rest 180 degrees from airport heading..of 230 all four points of aircraft above groung indicating flat impact on top of house..

God Bless, sounds like the auto pilot was working hard to compensate for icing and standard apch speeds.. when crew dropped flaps, it looks like all hell broke loose with no time to recover.... obvious direction change indicates semi-spin and recovery atteptmt by crew... It might explain why the FO's last transmission was so short and stressed.. Jesus.. looks like they tried to save her,, just not enough altitude... GOD Speed

Last edited:
NTSB REPORTING.. engines producing tourque, per the CVR: acft was on auto pilot flying the approach.. flaps 15 selected (never made 15, only 10, looks like they where retracted).. Stick shaker and pusher activated, A/P goes off.

Acft came to rest 180 degrees from airport heading..of 230 all four points of aircraft above groung indicating flat impact on top of house..

God Bless, sounds like the auto pilot was working hard to compensate for icing and standard apch speeds.. when crew dropped flaps, it looks like all hell broke loose with no time to recover.... obvious direction change indicates semi-spin and recovery atteptmt by crew... It might explain why the FO's last transmission was so short and stressed.. Jesus.. looks like they tried to save her,, just not enough altitude... GOD Speed

is it completely impossible that a sudden pitch down, vertical descent, down thru the bottom and a pull-out (if you will) and then crash (but now inverted) would could have caused the above orientation? To get it 180 degrees from the original heading is definitely a new twist to this case

I wonder if the wreckage will display clues as to being inverted or not at impact?

Latest resources

Back