Cold weather ops

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hgi2006

If you're sliding left on an icy runway, in a t/r equipped airplane, you would want to add additional power to the right engine in reverse, correct? If not correct, why? Thanks.

Last edited:
I m certainly no expert, but I have had the crap scared out of me on a few slick runways.
Don't use asymettric (spelling? doesn't look right...) thrust on the TRs to straighten yourself out.
Go to reverse idle, use the rudder to get back straight, and after straight, go back to reverse.
The thrust vector on a tail-mounted engine will actually pull you off the runway.

He's right. Most manufactures dont even reccommend using the T/Rs in XWINDs. Because of spool times and/or asymetric deployment, by the time you have corrected the slide, you will have put too much power in and now you have created another. Keep in mind, the aircraft does not have to be pointed straight down the runway, it just has to be TRACKING straight.
I had this same issue in MSP about 2 years ago. Airplane was cocked about 10 degrees to the left, but it was tracking straight, so I left it alone. When the plane slows enough, it'll jerk itself straight.

Also, on ice, the nosewheel being used for directional control is going to be a waste of time (At higher speeds. It'll be more effective the slower you are) If your N/W steering is connected to the rudder, pulling the nose off (or at least adding back pressure to take weight off the N/W) might help the problem as well if your rudder still has some authority. As with slush, in the right secnario, the nosewheel itself could just be turned sideways plowing throught the comtamination and doing more harm then good by kicking crap up into the engine.

It's all about that judgement.

I m certainly no expert, but I have had the crap scared out of me on a few slick runways.
Don't use asymettric (spelling? doesn't look right...) thrust on the TRs to straighten yourself out.
Go to reverse idle, use the rudder to get back straight, and after straight, go back to reverse.
The thrust vector on a tail-mounted engine will actually pull you off the runway.

Boeing recommends idle reverse, regain directional control, and then get back into the reverse thrust as required. Antiskid is your friend. Use it ASAP after touchdown.

Latest resources

Back