Coffins Corner

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pudz100

Can somebody help me out with the term "coffins corner"? I have no idea what it relates to or even how it is defined. Any idea where I might be able to research this?

Backside of the power curve. Takes more more power to fly, no altitude to trade for airspeed, "headed for the coffin."

It has to do with high-altitude operations.
Stall speeds increase with altitude and the speed of sound decreases with altitude, thus leaving a narrow airspeed range between the Stall Buffet and Mach Buffet. If you slow down, you can encounter the Stall Buffet. If you speed up, you may encounter the Mach Buffet. To get out of it you must descend at a constant safe airspeed within this narrow range.

I think i'm right on all of this, but if not i'm sure someone will correct me.

If you have a Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual, I think there is a paragraph on it.

...which for something like the U2 at high altitude was about an 8 knot difference between stall and overspeed / mach tuck.

willbav8r said:
...which for something like the U2 at high altitude was about an 8 knot difference between stall and overspeed / mach tuck.
Wow that is close to my 310, 7 knot difference.:D :D
usc

Football

Also in football,

A punt that goes out of bounds inside the 5 yard line is said to be in the coffin corner, or the killer corner.

Junk

Also, in Residential Organization, I have a corner in my living room where if I throw something into it (the Coffin Corner, or Junk Corner), the chances are good that it won't come back for a very long time.

NoPlaneNoGain said:
It has to do with high-altitude operations.
Stall speeds increase with altitude and the speed of sound decreases with altitude, thus leaving a narrow airspeed range between the Stall Buffet and Mach Buffet. If you slow down, you can encounter the Stall Buffet. If you speed up, you may encounter the Mach Buffet. To get out of it you must descend at a constant safe airspeed within this narrow range.
This is exactly correct.

Falcon Capt

I like your avatar. Every time I see any of the airframes in the Falcon series, I know that "perfection is French".

Hope you're having fun with it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back