Cockpit argument: Pilot slaps co-pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
chawbein said:
My CFI smacked me in the back of the head when I had a brain fart and decided to three-point the 172. I just said "Oops" and then he said "What the hell was that?" *smack*.

Hey, I had that guy too for my PPL training!!

His name wasn't Dave, at DCA/CAA, was it? My instrument instructor gave me a whap in the back of the head for turning the wrong way in a hold. Best dam instructor I ever had. :)

Along the same lines there was a fist fight in the SOCAL TRACON between two controllers working traffic a number of years ago.

Peardc10 said:
My last company I worked for, the boss and I were flying and ATC pointed out some traffic. In all my years of flying I usually will point out the traffic to the other crewmember.

Anyways, I pointed out the traffic and wham! Slap on the hand, I looked at him and WTFO! He said never point in the cockpit because the passengers will think there is something wrong in the cockpit. Yikes.........

Over the past 20 years, I've never had anyone do this type of act. It takes all kinds.

my 2 cents........

I spent some time working at a company whose chief pilot did the same thing. Never point at a gauge or traffic, or look at a chart too long, lest the people in the back think something is wrong. Yeah, whatever. That was the most ridiculous thing I had ever heard in my fledgling career up to that point, and probably still is.

I just pull out the whip.

when i first started doing my multi training (first retractable gear plane i'm flying) i would occasionally forget to bring the gear up right after take off. my instructors solution was to not say anything, but just start punching my arm. at first i was "WTFO?" as i looked around to find the gear still down, when i pulled the gear up... the punching stopped. i quickly learned to remember the gear on take off.

he was a great instructor, great person with a good sense of humor. it was more of a humorous way to get my attention than anything else. we became good friends.. tho i havent heard from him in a while. last i heard he was working at mesaba.

Vik said:
India?!? Surprise surprise ..

The country where someone stole the localizer antenna (at BOM) in the past 3 months?

Where there are poor people living on the airport property .. literally ..

Where AI pilots bitch and moan to allow their wives to ride along for free on overnight trips, and actually displace pos. space pax?

Do I dare continue?

India is so backwards when it comes to aviation, I'm amazed they actually got a couple of the airports ISO 9001 certified.

Ha, I remember that day. I was trying to fly a plane from Aurangabad to Bombay. I had to wait a couple hours on the ground before I could take off. That theft caused all kinds of problems because there was some fog at that time too, so lots and lots of planes got delay and were stacked up waiting.

Oh the stories about aviation in india I could tell...

dash8driver said:
when i first started doing my multi training (first retractable gear plane i'm flying) i would occasionally forget to bring the gear up right after take off. my instructors solution was to not say anything, but just start punching my arm. at first i was "WTFO?" as i looked around to find the gear still down, when i pulled the gear up... the punching stopped. i quickly learned to remember the gear on take off.

Ah, the memories.....I had the same problem and each time was treated to an engine failure by my cfi. Most people would learn after the first time, but I was a little thick-headed and it took a few struggles around the pattern on one engine before the lightbulb over my pea-brain lit up.

The first CAT II apch where the capt knocked my hand off the levers a bit too enthusiastically resulted my me punching his arm a good one in retribution (no hard feelings - we both had a good laugh over that one).

But seriously, I can't imagine arguments/blows as described in this thread. Unbelievable that people like that are out there flying around -- to my way of thinking if people cannot control themselves in a crew environment, they do not have the judgement or cool head that is required to pilot an aircraft.

Makes me realize I'm lucky....we fly with the best captains out there who not only impart their knowlege and experience but also show respect for those of us sitting in the other seat (regardless of what they really think, lol).

Latest resources

Back