Coast Guard pilot ranks?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SmellsLikeAvGas

I know this is kind of random, but I was wondering if anyone knew what Coast Guard pilots rank/rate is during and right out of flight school? I know when you first go to OCS, you are an Ensign.. but what comes next if you go to flight school? Thanks so much!

I know this works for the Navy, and probably for the Coasties also.

If they have visible tatoos or a little archor thingee on their collar, call them "Chief". If they have gold stripes or a shiney bar, leaf, eagle or star, call them "Admiral".

O-1 Ensign (butter bar)
O-2 Lieutenant (j.g.) (butter bar's older sibling in silver-tone)
O-3 Lieutenant (railroad tracks)
O-4 Lieutenant Commander (gold oak leaf clusters)
O-5 Commander (silver oak leaf clusters)
O-6 Captain (full bird)
... then on up to the stars.

As someone said, the same as the Navy.

OCS = Cadet, then you are commissioned as an O-1. Promotion is independent of training status. Not sure with the current flow rates are for the CG, but for the Navy they are:

O-1 to O-2: 2yrs
O-2 to O-3: 2yrs
O-3 to O-4: ~6yrs (Varies by year group (when you got commissioned) size, typically YG+10)

Try looking around on www.uscg.mil

All USCG aviators wear Navy wings and go thru the various Navy syllabi. See: https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/aviation.htm

Best of luck,
VVJM265

"All USCG aviators wear Navy wings and go thru the various Navy syllabi."

Well, not exactly. All USCG aviators do wear the same wings as the Navy but not all USCG aviators have gone through a Navy syllabus. In fact, the only Navy training I have completed is the dunker.

About 40% of USCG pilots were previously pilots in other services. We did not have to go through Naval flight training. For instance I was a prior Army pilot. I was commissioned in the Coast Guard and went directly to Coast Guard training at Mobile, AL.

But to the original question, Most newly commissioned pilots graduate flight school wearing the rank of O-2 (Lieutenant Junior Grade). You pin on O-3 four years from the date you pin on O-1.

Last edited:
sardaddy said:
"All USCG aviators wear Navy wings and go thru the various Navy syllabi."

Well, not exactly. All USCG aviators do wear the same wings as the Navy but not all USCG aviators have gone through a Navy syllabus. In fact, the only Navy training I have completed is the dunker.

About 40% of USCG pilots were previously pilots in other services. We did not have to go through Naval flight training. For instance I was a prior Army pilot. I was commissioned in the Coast Guard and went directly to Coast Guard training at Mobile, AL.

But to the original question, Most newly commissioned pilots graduate flight school wearing the rank of O-2 (Lieutenant Junior Grade). You pin on O-3 four years from the date you pin on O-1.

I stand corrected Sir. Didn't realize that the interservice transfer was so high in the CG. Also, I guess now there is a possibility for some who start out in the USCG to now go thru AF Primary instead of USN Primary.

Quick question gentlemen
I'm 27, college degree in aviation, Part 121 pilot with 1300 hours total 900 of which are turbine. Does my previous airline experiance and turbine time matter if I attempt to make the transition to the Coast Gaurd to become a pilot. Does the college degree help? Will my age be a factor? Vision 20/20 corrected 20/200 uncorrected does this matter, I know it does for the national gaurd?
Any info would be greatly appreciated
Thankyou

VVJM265 said:
I stand corrected Sir. Didn't realize that the interservice transfer was so high in the CG. Also, I guess now there is a possibility for some who start out in the USCG to now go thru AF Primary instead of USN Primary.

Any Coastie (non-flier) who starts flight training goes through Pensacola.

Latest resources

Back