Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ck130

Greetings All,

DISCLAIMER: First of all I am not a detailer or a recruiter, so I have no agenda here other than passing along some info that a few bro's might find useful.

The Coast Guard needs to grow some fixed wing drivers in a hurry, so they are looking for guys in the other services to come on over. Sorry all you helo bubbas but this time around it is a fixed wing only thing. They are particularly interested in C-130J guys so if you are currently/recently qualified on that weapon system you would compete very well for a seat, but folks from all the other communities are encouraged to apply. Currently we fly the, HC-130H, HC-130J, HU-25 (Falcon 20), and a few oddball things like a G-V and a Challenger. The link below should answer most of your questions.

http://www.gocoastguard.com/dc/dcprograms/dca.htm

If you have any general questions about Coast Guard flying just do a search on this board...there has been quite a bit of good info passed on the subject. Or, just post a new question and I'm sure some one will chime in.

Good Luck,

ck130

Good deal for some, not so good for others. The USCG has had a standing policy of not taking any interservice transfers or DCOs above the grade O-2. Is there a reason for that? If they really wanted folks they would lift that restriction. There are a ton of O-3/O-4 fixed wing navy guys I know of that would jump on an interservice transfer to the USCG if they didn't have to get bumped in rank.

Overall, it's pretty good. I am sure they will get plenty of apps even if folks have to take the cut in pay/rank, just as long as they are not forced to watch "The Guardian". That would be a deal breaker for me.

Last edited:
Needs of the service - when the shortage gets bad enough, then they will change the rules. If that doesn't happen, the rules will stay the same. Supply and demand.

Last edited:
Good deal for some, not so good for others. The USCG has had a standing policy of not taking any interservice transfers or DCOs above the grade O-2. Is there a reason for that? If they really wanted folks they would lift that restriction. There are a ton of O-3/O-4 fixed wing navy guys I know of that would jump on an interservice transfer to the USCG if they didn't have to get bumped in rank.

Overall, it's pretty good. I am sure they will get plenty of apps even if folks have to take the cut in pay/rank, just as long as they are not forced to watch "The Guardian". That would be a deal breaker for me.

The CG took a lot of Army Warrant Officers in the DCA program and actually PROMOTED them to LTjg. I've posted this before, but coming in as an O2 gives you time to get used to the CG way of doing things and performing your job for a tour or so before you go up to a promotion board. If you were to go to the next board as an O3 you would not compete very well with the "natural" O3s who you would be "competing" with. The results would not be pretty.

They will adjust your effective date of rank to give you some time to learn the ropes and prove yourself in the CG system before throwing you to the wolves. Yes, it might be seen as a bummer to some, that is fine. The program is designed to take junior officers who want to come over to the CG and have them for the better part of a 20 year career. They aren't really looking to throw 04s a bone for their last 8 years of service to their country.

It is what it is and it isn't likely to change, so if you are going to have a chip on your shoulder about taking a hit in rank, DO NOT apply to the program. You will never be happy in the CG and everyone around you will be miserable.

If, on the other hand, you want to try something different and help to save people's lives every day and can truely put your pride aside from what you wear on your shoulder, then give it strong consideration.

Good advice above on the search function, because a couple of years ago we hashed the program out pretty good on here.

FJ

"The CG took a lot of Army Warrant Officers in the DCA program and actually PROMOTED them to LTjg."

Actually we only got promoted to Ensign.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Have a Baccalaureate Degree or have completed 30 semester hours (45 quarters hours) at an accredited college or university[/FONT]

What does this mean? I am asking because I have not yet finished my degree. Aprrox 90 out of 120 hous completed.

"The Coast Guard needs to grow some fixed wing drivers in a hurry, so they are looking for guys in the other services to come on over. Sorry all you helo bubbas but this time around it is a fixed wing only thing."

ck130 where is the message that says that? I haven't seen in and would love to pass it on.

SARDADDY,

There is no message. The DCA program is still up and running so there was no need to send a message. The focus right now, however, is bringing in fixed wing drivers, especially C-130J guys.

ck130

Latest resources

Back