Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Crossky

A Gentleman and a bother
I interviewed today for a part 91 corporate position flying a two pilot operation of a Cheyenne as a new hire, Captain qualified. The Chief Pilot said thay swap legs as PF/PNF every flight. To those in the industry, what does this talk specifically mean? Does this sound like the PF is always the PIC to you? I'm an RJ boy now and am used to staying in the right seat and the responsibility that comes with it. I would like to legitimately log PIC if PF and CA qualified. It would be strange to be PF and PIC every other leg with a seasoned company pilot next to me, but I'm sure I could get used to it. What salary range could I expect? - upper plains - Omaha, NE area etc.

You know how ear candy is, he said in 6-12 months I can expect to be trained in the right seat of their Lear 31A, and be CA qualified 6-12 months after that. Also that they might replace the prop with another jet in 12 - 18 mths. Any thoughts?

I have second thoughts about the job because of waiting to fly the Lear: they can justify offering a substantially lower salary with me flying the Cheyenne only. I have a 6 mth - 1 yr range to a junior upgrade in the CRJ, but would still have to commute. Leaning toward staying with the regional airline.

Thanks for any comments.

A couple of things you must consider. How stable is the company that you interviewed with? If it is stable and you like flying in the corporate world then go for it.

Another thing to think about is if you want to fly for a regional airline for your career. If you pass up the opportunity to get into the coporate field it might not be there when you want it to be. I hate to say it but a corporation would be more likely to hire another coporate pilot over an airline pilot.

I have lots of time in the Lear31a and if you want to have fun flying a little sports car then this is a great airplane. It will out perform the RJ in almost everyway, except range and people.

Good luck

Crossky said:
To those in the industry, what does this talk specifically mean? Does this sound like the PF is always the PIC to you? I'm an RJ boy now and am used to staying in the right seat and the responsibility that comes with it. I would like to legitimately log PIC if PF and CA qualified. It would be strange to be PF and PIC every other leg with a seasoned company pilot next to me, but I'm sure I could get used to it. What salary range could I expect? - upper plains - Omaha, NE area etc.
In a Cheyenne, if you are manipulating the controls(ie. PF)....you're the PIC. Most good corporate operators are going to co-captains instead of co-pilots. Its better for everybody (scheduling, pilots, morale, etc.) Just be careful. Don't believe the airplane later stuff. Believe it when it's on the ramp. And get all the money you can when you start, it's always tougher to get later. Just be willing to fly whatever equipment they have on the ramp now. Don't ever enter future plans into the equation. Corporate is alot of fun, and I am really trying to make a career out of it even though I originally thought I wanted another route. Good Luck. I don't know the pay scale for that aircraft, sorry..

Every corporate department I can think of swaps seats on each leg when both pilots are "CA" qualified. Those that don't have a huge turn-over. The larger the department, the longer it may take to make captain. I know of one very large department where you'll spend a MINIMUM of 7 years in the right seat of a King Air before upgrading to CA. 15 years before you get to the right seat of the jet. This company has not had a pilot leave in the 15 years I've known about them!

Good luck with your decision. Corporate is a great way to make a living!

2000Flyer

2000flyer said:
Every corporate department I can think of swaps seats on each leg when both pilots are "CA" qualified. Those that don't have a huge turn-over. The larger the department, the longer it may take to make captain. I know of one very large department where you'll spend a MINIMUM of 7 years in the right seat of a King Air before upgrading to CA. 15 years before you get to the right seat of the jet. This company has not had a pilot leave in the 15 years I've known about them!

Good luck with your decision. Corporate is a great way to make a living!

2000Flyer
What company would that be? If the company is so good pilots don't mind 7 years to upgrade to King Air PIC, it sounds like a pretty dang good place to work.

Latest resources

Back