• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CNN "Airlines Dirty Little Secret"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Roger Cohen tries to make it sound simple; more pay will not make for a better, safer pilot. It's not that simple, Roger.

At $16,000 to $23,000 per year, (gross), a pilot cannot afford to live in most hub cities. If she can't afford to live in domecile, she has to commute. If she's commuting, she's not resting. And then there's the whole issue of scheduling the commute so she doesn't have to spend 12 hours in a crew room immediately prior to her duty time.

So, Mr. Cohen,....can the lack of a livable pilot wage be considered a safety issue for pilots (AND PASSENGERS)? Will better pay make for a better, safer pilot?

Commuting is a choice for these employees - not a requirement of the employer. Regardless of where you live, you are expected to show up to work well rested, clean, crisp, professional, ready for duty, etc. end of story.

Seems as though one has to be able to afford to work for a living in this industry as opposed to the other way around these days.

Roger Cohen tries to make it sound simple; more pay will not make for a better, safer pilot. It's not that simple, Roger.

At $16,000 to $23,000 per year, (gross), a pilot cannot afford to live in most hub cities. If she can't afford to live in domecile, she has to commute. If she's commuting, she's not resting. And then there's the whole issue of scheduling the commute so she doesn't have to spend 12 hours in a crew room immediately prior to her duty time.

So, Mr. Cohen,....can the lack of a livable pilot wage be considered a safety issue for pilots (AND PASSENGERS)? Will better pay make for a better, safer pilot?

On that same note though, there are Major Airline widebody CA's that commute as well. Hell I know a few that commute from England to Hong Kong!

Pilots forget that passengers can careless how much we really make. And how little of sleep we get.
Just get me there for cheap!

Agreed whatever the FAA does it will only make life more difficult for the pilots and have no or dare I even say it a more negative result industry wide!

If the past has any precedent, the NTSB will make a recommendation to the FAA and the FAA will do noting about it--because they are in bed with the airlines, and the airlines won't want them to do anything about it.

Lets say they do raise the minimum pay, how is that going to affect anything? Plus do you think it will be a retroactive raise, so we can all get paid for doing time?

The first thing that needs to happen is management bonuses need to be brought under control in this (and other) industries. The focal point of management is not safe operations, customer service and I dare say it is not even in sound business planning. Management in America has only two things it is concerned about these days: 1) Securing large bonuses that are not performance related and 2) finding ways to to get short bursts in stock prices with no regard to long term effects. Nothing else matters in American management in this day and age.

This has got to be one of the most ignorant posts I've read on this site. That says a lot.

The thing that NOBODY seems to understand is that better overall compensation will result in sharper individuals making a career choice to become pilots. Its really a question of who do we want in the cockpit in the first place?

No, the real question is whether the passengers will PAY for it. I mean, if Airline X and Y are a dollar apart on airfare, you can bet that Joe White Trash go with whoever's cheapest; I heard that A LOT when I was a travel agent in the late 90s.

As long as they get their 100 dollar transcontinental ticket; the traveling public couldnt care less.

No, the real question is whether the passengers will PAY for it. I mean, if Airline X and Y are a dollar apart on airfare, you can bet that Joe White Trash go with whoever's cheapest; I heard that A LOT when I was a travel agent in the late 90s.

As long as they get their 100 dollar transcontinental ticket; the traveling public couldnt care less.

Is it 100% pass on to the customer?

Is managment managaing properly? Recall, management is too quick to come to labor to relief to cover for their mistakes.

Latest resources

Back