• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CMR Crash CVR released.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow, after reading the transcript of that it almost seems like they came dang close to making it.

Yeah, I thought that too. Sounds like they might have if not for the grass berm at the end of the runway.

RIP

It's unclear to me whether the lights were on or not. I can't believe that two airline pilots would depart from an unlit runway, since it's illegal at nighttime under 121 or 135.

You quoted my post, but it's obvious you didn't understand it. Let me try again. The lights for 26 were not on. In fact, they haven't been on in years. However, it is my opinion that the crew's perception was that they were departing on a lit runway until well into the t/o roll. Visual illusion created by the lights for 22, the fact that the two thresholds are very close together, and that the intersection of the two rwys is on an upslope that you can't see over.

I have been in GA aircraft twice that started TO rolls on wrong runways, we stoped and the a/c would not have crashed. Asked these news people how many times they stumble or make mistakes on their jobs, the difference is, if the right things happen at the wrong moment even the simplest mistake will take our lifes. This is what I always tell people when they say, how stupid is that? And I ask, how many times have you made mistakes at YOUR job? Can or did it kill you?
The bad thing about aviation and I guess the good is we learn from peoples mistakes so they don't happen again, when it comes down to it, its our brothers that keep us out of trouble as to not repeat the past. There will be alot learned from this accident so that maybe someday 500 people don't die, that does'nt take the heartbreak away, but aviation is still a developing process. Who knows, maybe someday instead of hearing "flaps flaps" (on takeoff if they or misconfigured) we will hear "Check line up, check line up" but I guess there is only so much we can do before the computers are flying the aircraft and we are watching. Ultimately these pilots were responsible, but I would be so careless if I thought that this could'nt happen to any of us.

Last edited:
Like someone else said on this thread, reading that transcript reminds me of a common day for us. Nothing is different reading up to takeoff except that we know this story ends badly. It hits home more than anything I've seen about keeping vigilant.

Back in the turboprop days, we used to set the HSI to the localizer on the departing runway. Even if there were no ILS, I'd set it anyway, just to give me that big needle pointing the right way in case of V1 cut....

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the Chinese taking off on an Anchorage taxiway, 80 degrees off assigned runway direction:

http://aviation-safety.net/photos/graphics/20020125-0-1.gif

ASA just recently implemented a procedure for both the Capt and FO to cross check the aircraft's heading against the runway's magnetic heading and to physically verify the actual runway number painted on the ground.

That'll work in a perfect world. So, you now no longer have intersection take-off approvals? What happens when visibility or contamination precludes you from seeing the actual runway number?

That'll work in a perfect world. So, you now no longer have intersection take-off approvals? What happens when visibility or contamination precludes you from seeing the actual runway number?

You are correct. With the latest storm in the midwest, we took off on a partially snow covered runway. Match the heading with the runway alignment, and back all movements on the taxiways with the 10-9 page.

Do the best with what we have.

Latest resources

Back