• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CMR Crash CVR released.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This transcript apparently had normal checklist procedures edited out. I wish we could get the full transcript posted. I hate to point things out, but there was either a gap in Comair's SOP's regarding verification of correct runway, or those SOP's were not followed. I just wish we weren't having this thread in the first place.

There is no restriction on the release of CVR transcripts (the family usually gets the first look). NTSB no longer releases actual CVR recordings.

Didn't ALPA help stop the actual CVR recordings because of that AMR 757 that hit the mountain in South America was played on TV over and over?
I remember listening to the Eagle flights CVR over Indiana, man that was tuff to listen too.

FO: dat is wierd with no lights

From the timing this is referring to a T/O roll with no lights. It does not refer to the fact that the lighted runway was 100 ft in front of them when they started the T/O roll and they crossed it.

Earlier statements about lights out all over the place indicate a level of complacencyt.

And yes the truest statement is that "I just wish we weren't having this thread in the first place."

This transcript apparently had normal checklist procedures edited out. I wish we could get the full transcript posted. I hate to point things out, but there was either a gap in Comair's SOP's regarding verification of correct runway, or those SOP's were not followed. I just wish we weren't having this thread in the first place.

ASA just recently implemented a procedure for both the Capt and FO to cross check the aircraft's heading against the runway's magnetic heading and to physically verify the actual runway number painted on the ground.

Air Wiskey started doing this on the Before Takeoff Checklist in 2003 I think. Last line in the checklist "DG's.......Aligned"

Any other RJ operators do this? This procedure was to prevent EFIS COMP MONS on the roll and to verify heading with runway alignment. ORD was terrible for drifting dg's on the ground with magnetic interference.

Flew with an ALPA investigator and there is a lot of blame to throw around on this one.

The airport was approved to build a parking garage that obstructs the view from the tower of those runways. You can't see it even if you were looking. Paved over lines and numerous light outages.

Jepp plates that didn't show the changes at the time or even weeks after the accident.

Why it took so long for the fire trucks to get to the accident scene? Went to end of wrong runway first and then refused on the radio to tower to go through grass and fence the a/c went through to get to the accident scene. A lot of lost time getting to the scene.

The pilots will take the ultimate blame, but only about a quarter of the total blame. The FAA, airport and Jepps will take the rest.

Heres the complete transcripts in Full from entering the cockpit til the CVR loses power. Very sad, may they all RIP.

Comair5191 CVR transcripts

Here's an alternate link in case that one stops working for whatever reason.

I found it interesting that the news stories took phrases out of context to make it look like the pilots were hypocrites or not paying attention.

An example is the phrase where the FO is talking about how he always likes to double check before he makes a big decision and/or jumps into a situation. What he was really talking about was moving to the Middle East to fly for Emirates or some such company. Not about making major decisions in the airplane. Also "Whoa" was not the final word on the transcript. It continues for a few more seconds. I hate the media sometimes.

http://gray.ftp.clickability.com/wvltwebftp/pdf/comair.pdf

Last edited:
Air Wiskey started doing this on the Before Takeoff Checklist in 2003 I think. Last line in the checklist "DG's.......Aligned"

Any other RJ operators do this? This procedure was to prevent EFIS COMP MONS on the roll and to verify heading with runway alignment. ORD was terrible for drifting dg's on the ground with magnetic interference.

PDT had the PF with runway alignment, PM had the tower heading or whatever SID head set before crash!
After the Comair crash we have to confirm runway alignment right before T/O!!
Good thing I think! God rest all there souls!!!!!!!z

Eagle has a DG alignment both holding short and in position on the runway for the CRJ. This was in position before the Comair accident.

Latest resources

Back