• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Close Love Field

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh boy, where do I start. This guy has lost all sense of logic. There is no way that closing Love field for commercial flights will bring any benefit to passengers. It will reduce the number of gates available for carriers and probably drive up fares.

Read what this guy says, "(Closing Love) would help fill the empty gates at DFW and generate additional landing fees" More fees and reduced competition results in HIGHER FARES!! Before you talk about leveling the playing field, consider how SWA would get a ton of gates at DFW. Do you think there would be enough for all carriers who want them?

He then calls Love field a wasting economic asset right now and says it would become an attractive airport for general aviation or industrial purposes. That is a lie, it would be critically hurt by the loss of SWA.

Don't be fooled. This is a Nazi trick. It's the big lie theory in practice. Those that support this rubbish are just trying to muddle the issue and make the Wright Amendment challenge go away.

Here is what this issue is really about:

lowecur said:
....Delta's pullout has serious financial implications. The D/FW Airport board estimates that lost landing fees, gate rentals and concession revenues will total $35 million for the balance of fiscal 2004-2005. That's 7 percent of the airport's $494 million operating budget.

Unless other revenue sources are found, the airport may well have to implement cutbacks.

Under D/FW's current capital development program, $2.7 billion is being invested to upgrade the airport's infrastructure, including a new international terminal, the SkyLink automated people mover and major road improvements.

With $3.8 billion of outstanding debt, D/FW probably will be under scrutiny by the financial community as a result of the Delta downsizing and the corresponding loss of revenue. Should this scenario lead to a downgrading of its bonds, D/FW would face higher borrowing costs for future capital improvements....

DFW would love the monopoly and probably RAISE landing fees. JetBlue would get a kick out of operating the 190 all over Texas. Take those guys out of the mix and NO ONE has any interest in closing Love Field. Remember who wrote this article and ignore what he writes in the future.

lowecur said:
Let's see, $25M in lost revenue from gate leases and landing fees from DL, that was supposed to go to $38M in the coming fiscal year. That's only 4% of the budget for DFW. Economists project the loss of 7000 jobs at $340M in payroll, and a projected economic loss to the area of $800M. I think your taxes may be going up to makeup the shortfall.

Hell, I'd even give AMR and any other carriers the same fees and gate leases that were offered to SWA for 5 years. The increased activity alone would more than make up the difference with the limited growth activity in the next few years.

SWA could still operate their headquarters at DAL if the field stays open as a General Aviation facility, and not need to move the sims. The Limit the use of regional jets at the airport, then forcing AMR to operate less flights with larger a/c.
Lowecur,

You are a funny man. Airlines can lose billions and we are supposed to freak out about DFW's mismanagement and proposed losses. I'm crying over here. Is the loss of jobs and money anymore important at DFW than at AA or DAL? What did the public think was going to happen with the industry in bad shape. Or does eveyone just hate "greedy" airline employees and love the TSA and government employees.

If DFW needs to scale back projects, then let them!

Very generous of you to let SWA to keep the HQ where it is. I feel like that allowance will help your deal work out.

Forcing gates to be used by larger aircraft and changing the price of gate leases based on your Orwellian vision of what is fair. Very nice.

Next you will make me goose step and yell "Heil Lowecur!" thru security

If DFW gates are such a darn good deal, why is DAL giving them up? Why is there talk of forcing SWA to move to them?

Give me a break,

FBJ

Last edited:
FlyBoeingJets said:
Lowecur,

You are a funny man. ;) Airlines can lose billions and we are supposed to freak out about DFW's mismanagement and proposed losses. Yes. I'm crying over here. Is the loss of jobs and money anymore important at DFW than at AA or DAL? Good point. What did the public think was going to happen with the industry in bad shape. Or does eveyone just hate "greedy" airline employees and love the TSA and government employees.

If DFW needs to scale back projects, then let them! Too late now, the new International Terminal is opening soon with very few tenants. Fortunately, mgt will allow domestic service from this terminal, as it doesn't look like the international carriers want anything to do with DFW due to a lack of code share partners.

Very generous of you to let SWA to keep the HQ where it is. I feel like that allowance will help your deal work out. It's not such a bad deal.

Forcing gates to be used by larger aircraft and changing the price of gate leases based on your Orwellian vision of what is fair. Very nice. Well you can't just give only SWA a break on leases and fees. Do you really believe Jetblue would show up there if SWA had this kind of cost advantage? And yes, the big crybaby AMR would no doubt want their share.

Next you will make me goose step and yell "Heil Lowecur!" thru security. :D No, but I would accept a "bust" of myself over the welcome to DFW.

If DFW gates are such a darn good deal, why is DAL giving them up? Too difficult to compete with AMR's size with DL's present cost structure. Why is there talk of forcing SWA to move to them? It would be great for Southwest and DFW.

Give me a break,

FBJ
Sounds like point, counterpoint. Do you wear a bowtie? :)

Last edited:
Dallas Love is more convenient to the business traveler. I say close down DFW and build an extra runway or two at Love. Gotta LOVE it... Yeah, that'll never happen.

Hello, Boing!:D

I would support repealing the WA as long as the airlines that gave up gates at Love and were moved over to DFW got all their original gates back. A deal is a deal.

yaks said:
I would support repealing the WA as long as the airlines that gave up gates at Love and were moved over to DFW got all their original gates back. A deal is a deal.
Excellent point.

I'm sure I'm missing something here. I wonder why SWA chose this moment in time to try to repeal the Wright Amendment. I imagine it would be easier when DFW wasn't having trouble filling the gates.

yaks said:
So closing DAL is OK with you? I believe SWA controls 14-16 gates at DAL, and there are only a couple of the remaining 16-18 occupied. So in essence you are talking about DFW giving LUV 14-16 of the 24 gates that DL is abandoning. I'm sure DFW would have no problem with that. Any LCC or legacy could then contract for the remaining gates, and if more gates were needed they could open up gates at the new international terminal (which is going to be very underutilized).

Last edited:
Lowely,
They are not going to close Love Field. WN is not going to move to DFW. This is not even a worthwhile discussion and your posted article is political posturing by Tarrant county. You might as well consider the Star Telegram as being owned by Tarrant County.

Latest resources

Back