Close Love Field

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lowecur

Now here's a novel idea. It sure would create a level playing field in the metroplex. Of course LUV would then sue. My suggestion would be for the city to pay the moving costs. Give SWA the same cost structure that they have at DAL for 5 years (adjustment period). Sounds like a win, win. The field could then be turned into a business park, and even the new parking garage would find a tenant.

Posted on Sun, Dec. 12, 2004

It's time to close Love Field

By Bernard L. Weinstein and Terry L. Clower
Special to the Star-Telegram

Fifteen years ago, Dallas and Fort Worth were squabbling over a proposed modification to the Wright Amendment that would have permitted through ticketing, or one-stop service, from Love Field.

The usual parties lined up on the usual sides, with American Airlines threatening to sue everyone in sight should any change be implemented. American's threats held sway, and the Wright Amendment disappeared from the political radar screen -- until a few weeks ago.

Back then, the Metroplex missed a golden opportunity to stimulate a more competitive commercial aviation market. We pay the price today with virtual monopolies at both Love Field and Dallas/Fort Worth Airport and higher average fares than are found in most major markets.

Had the Wright Amendment been modified or repealed in the late 1980s, our air market today would probably look like Houston's, with two viable airports and a lot more competition at each.

But in today's distressed aviation environment, repeal or modification of the Wright Amendment would have little or no positive impact on competition and could do serious harm to North Texas' aviation infrastructure. A better course would be to prohibit scheduled air service at Love Field and concentrate the region's commercial aviation assets at D/FW.

Consider the following:

• Several legacy carriers are operating in bankruptcy while they and the rest have reduced service, wrested wage and work rule concessions from their employees and pursued other strategies to reduce expenses.

• Combined losses during the past three years have exceeded $30 billion, and recent increases in jet fuel costs will push these losses even higher.

• The so-called discount carriers have also encountered financial stress recently and, with the exception of Southwest, are only marginally profitable. None but Southwest is currently adding flights.

Against this backdrop, Delta Air Lines -- the No. 2 carrier at D/FW -- has decided to reduce the number of daily flights from more than 250 to only 21 by Jan. 31.

Delta's pullout has serious financial implications. The D/FW Airport board estimates that lost landing fees, gate rentals and concession revenues will total $35 million for the balance of fiscal 2004-2005. That's 7 percent of the airport's $494 million operating budget.

Unless other revenue sources are found, the airport may well have to implement cutbacks. Or worse, under agreements with the other airlines currently providing service at D/FW, those carriers could be forced to make up any operating revenue shortfalls.

Delta's pullout from D/FW also raises concerns about the airport's bonded indebtedness. Under D/FW's current capital development program, $2.7 billion is being invested to upgrade the airport's infrastructure, including a new international terminal, the SkyLink automated people mover and major road improvements.

With $3.8 billion of outstanding debt, D/FW probably will be under scrutiny by the financial community as a result of the Delta downsizing and the corresponding loss of revenue. Should this scenario lead to a downgrading of its bonds, D/FW would face higher borrowing costs for future capital improvements.

Today, the best hope for bringing more competition to the local air travel market would be for Southwest to relocate its operations from Love Field, where passenger traffic has been declining for years, to D/FW.

Southwest won't move voluntarily, so the only alternative is to close Love Field.

That would help fill the empty gates at DFW and generate additional landing fees while giving Southwest the "freedom to fly" anywhere it wants, with attendant benefits to the local traveling public. Love Field would remain an attractive airport for general aviation and industrial uses.

Yes, some north Dallas travelers would have to drive a bit farther to catch their flights. But most of the region's future population growth is projected to occur north of D/FW, suggesting that airport will be much more convenient for the majority of Metroplex passengers in the years ahead.

Dallas and Fort Worth have invested billions in Dallas/Fort Worth Airport, and we cannot afford to let it become a wasting economic asset like Love Field.

Closing Love to scheduled service, and putting Southwest Airlines and any new carriers at DFW, would help ensure that the Metroplex remains a competitive global aviation hub.

Last edited:
Yea great idea. Just cover up mismangement by eliminating the alternative with some complicated formula for the tax payer to pick up. Any more bright ideas?

"None but Southwest is currently adding flights."

Do these reporters who obviously know very little, if anything about aviation,ever do any research before writing these articles. I believe AirTran and JetBlue have been adding flights!

I was busy setting my brilliance down on paper (this screen) for the masses when I accidentally closed the browser page. So much for my brilliance :D

Oh well, flyingitalian said all that I was trying to say and he used far fewer words.

If I were SWA, and I'm not, I'd leave the metroplex before I was forced to use DFW. The current DFW traffic management strategy is way too delay prone to allow SWA's efficient operations. I've sat on a taxiway for thirty minutes just waiting to cross a runway during IFR ops just because of their ground control philosophy.

What I'd really love to see would be a new commercial ops airport at either Lewisville or Denton. Hillsboro wouldn't be a bad spot either.

Let the Dallas and Tarrant county politicians continue their squabbles at their own expense.

enigma

Lowecur, is the sky blue in your world?

The Ft.W "Startlegram" is playing out the local politics, just like the DMN.
What the article fails to mention is the Ft.W Alliance Airport. If you wanna get picky that airport violates the agreement the cities had about developing DFW.

The cost of moving SWA to DFW is stupid expensive. They just built a huge new HQ with training facilities on the field. The cost of moving the sims would be on the order of $3 mil. apiece and they'd be out of action from 60 - 90 days. I don't want my tax dollars paying for that. I'd rather repeal the WA, restrict Int'l flights to DFW, and give FTW a bunch of money to improve Meacham for airline service. If you were to compare present day DFW airport's master plan with what the origionally had in mind 35 years ago you would call it a failure. I've seen it, and DFW is no where near what the planners had invisioned.

HalinTexas said:

What the article fails to mention is the Ft.W Alliance Airport. If you wanna get picky that airport violates the agreement the cities had about developing DFW.

The cost of moving SWA to DFW is stupid expensive. They just built a huge new HQ with training facilities on the field. The cost of moving the sims would be on the order of $3 mil. apiece and they'd be out of action from 60 - 90 days. I don't want my tax dollars paying for that. I'd rather repeal the WA, restrict Int'l flights to DFW, and give FTW a bunch of money to improve Meacham for airline service. If you were to compare present day DFW airport's master plan with what the origionally had in mind 35 years ago you would call it a failure. I've seen it, and DFW is no where near what the planners had invisioned.
FTW has had a couple of airlines try service out of there in recent years (Mesa and Forth Worth Air) and both failed at it. There just isn't the money or demand in Tarrant county to create another airline operation over there. The reporters for the Star Telegram can blow all the political hot air they want about the Wright Amendment. This doesn't change the fact that their part of the metromess isn't where a majority of the customer base is. I think those in power realize this. Lowely would too if he lived here and wasn't trying to peddle Embraer junk jets.

HalinTexas said:

Let's see, $25M in lost revenue from gate leases and landing fees from DL, that was supposed to go to $38M in the coming fiscal year. That's only 4% of the budget for DFW. Since landing fees are based on weight, AMR is turning DFW into a regional jet mega airport, thus further reducing revenue. Economists project the loss of 7000 jobs at $340M in payroll, and a projected economic loss to the area of $800M. I think your taxes may be going up to makeup the shortfall. Hell, I'd even give AMR and any other carriers the same fees and gate leases that were offered to SWA for 5 years. The increased activity alone would more than make up the difference with the limited growth activity in the next few years.

SWA could still operate their headquarters at DAL if the field stays open as a General Aviation facility, and not need to move the sims. The delays caused by runways crossings could be alleviated if the perimeter taxiway project receives approval. Limit the use of regional jets at the airport, then forcing AMR to operate less flights with larger a/c.

lowecur said:
Since landing fees are based on weight, AMR is turning DFW into a regional jet mega airport, thus further reducing revenue.
AMR has frozen RJ deliveries, so I doubt they are going to turn DFW into an RJ mega hub. In fact, next year AMR will be adding almost 70 flights at DFW...many of which will be mainline.

Why is it that Dallas can't support two airports (one LCC airport and one traditional hub airport), when many other cities of similar size seem to manage it?

In just a few years, this industry will be facing serious airspace constraints (already happening in some markets), so the last thing we need are fewer airports and fewer runways.

LOve Field / Meigs

We do not need fewer airports close to downtown. The Corporate / 135 operators need Love field to serve the public just as they always have. The wright amendment was put in place to make the big carriers move to DFW when it was opened. My opinion is that it has served that purpose and that it should stay in place given the recent decrease in DFW traffic (Delta). Why should Corporate aviation suffer because of an air carrier debate. The biggest problem as I see it is that DFW stands for Dosn't F***ing Work and air carrier ops are to burdensome time wise. Leave Love field alone in my opinion.

Let the market work, remove these artifical restrictions and let companies operate how they choose.

Lets not forget the history of the Wright amendment. In 79 SWA announce that it wanted to fly outside Texas, more specifically New Orleans. Wright wanted to protect his baby AA and challenged a deregulation clause of automatic entry, meaning did SWA actually have the right to fly where they wanted without the politicians deciding, after many contributions of course, if it was OK. Herb fired up the grass roots effort and delivered petitions to Washington and SWA won the right to fly outside Texas. So Wright, not to be defeated used his political power and legislation to limit SWA to stay inside Texas. Herb's buddy Packwood who was about to be the chairman of the senate finance committe helped out and they agreed on a compromise known today as the wright amendment. So if you look at it this way the wright amendment is as far as SWA was willing, or possibly able to fight in 1979. It was the best deal SWA could get and if it was not for the personal relationship of Packwood and Kelleher SWA would not even have what it has now. The wright amendment has always been a "pain in the arse" as Herb has been quoted as saying, but SWA has learned to live with it. Well I guess SWA is not willing to live with it any more. Its an abortion; a display of political power and corporate protection that has seen its day.

Get the government out of the way and let them play.

Latest resources

Back