Cleared To Airport or VOR?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Were you on an IFR flight plan?

Don Brown has an excellent set of articles on Avweb about the shortcuts pilots and controllers take that are not inline with the AIM or FARs. He wrote extensively about why navigating to an airport is not how the system is set up, but controllers accomodate it because its easy to put up with it (take that shortcut) than it is to force pilots to operate the way the system was designed.

Yes, I was at FL430 when I got the instruction. I honestly cannot remember the last time I flew on a VFR flight plan

when in doubt, always clarify. it takes 3 seconds to say "is that direct to the airport?".

I think technically the embry-riddle answer/FSDO checkride answer is that it is to navaid unless specifically stated "cleared direct Omaha Airport"

I'll select the VOR if I'm flying because I think it allows an cleaner setup in the FMS for the approach. If the guy I'm flying with selects the airport I'll read back "Direct to the airport Yettiburger 2492" (substitute your callsign for "Yettiburger")

Go direct to what ever it was that he/she cleared you to...direct Omaha, go direct to Omaha--direct Eppley (Omaha Airport) go direct to the airport...if the VOR is not on the field it has a different name than the airport.

...technically the embry-riddle answer...

I do what ever the Riddle Rats do!

Were you on an IFR flight plan?

Don Brown has an excellent set of articles on Avweb about the shortcuts pilots and controllers take that are not inline with the AIM or FARs. He wrote extensively about why navigating to an airport is not how the system is set up, but controllers accomodate it because its easy to put up with it (take that shortcut) than it is to force pilots to operate the way the system was designed.

True, but with all due respect to Mr. Brown - our ATC system was designed when we didn't have the ability to navigate directly to the airport.

True, but with all due respect to Mr. Brown - our ATC system was designed when we didn't have the ability to navigate directly to the airport.

True, and it's still not set up for it. What do you do when you go lost comms after going direct the airport...no instrument approaches begin with the airport as a IAF?

Just another example of how behind the times the FAA operates.

I personally go direct to the outer marker of the approach that will be used....maybe not correct but its the place where I know I need to be!

I personally go direct to the outer marker of the approach that will be used....maybe not correct but its the place where I know I need to be!

yeah but that is not correct, come on my brother. that is way "less correct" then whether direct XXX is direct the VOR or direct the airport.

the "approach that will be used" might change when the wind direction changes. Now you are going to the (now not-in-use) fix on ILS to 03 but they are running ILS's and takeoffs to RWY 21, while you hang out off the departure end?

come on

lets look at the AIM glossary

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/ATpubs/PCG/D.HTM

DIRECT- Straight line flight between two navigational aids, fixes, points, or any combination thereof. When used by pilots in describing off-airway routes, points defining direct route segments become compulsory reporting points unless the aircraft is under radar contact.

also

ROUTE SEGMENT- As used in Air Traffic Control, a part of a route that can be defined by two navigational fixes, two NAVAIDs, or a fix and a NAVAID.

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/ATpubs/AIM/Chap5/aim0503.html

3. Area Navigation (RNAV) Routes.
(a) Published RNAV routes, including Q-Routes, can be flight planned for use by aircraft with RNAV capability, subject to any limitations or requirements noted on en route charts or by NOTAM.
(b) Unpublished RNAV routes SATPAK77 COMMENT: When ATC clears you present position, direct, they are bascially creating a instant-unpublished RNAV route are direct routes, based on area navigation capability, between waypoints defined in terms of latitude/longitude coordinates, degree-distance fixes, or offsets from established routes/airways at a specified distance and direction. Radar monitoring by ATC is required on all unpublished RNAV routes.​

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/ATpubs/AIM/Chap6/aim0604.html

3. IFR conditions. If the failure occurs in IFR conditions, or if subparagraph 2 above cannot be complied with, each pilot shall continue the flight according to the following:
(a) Route.
(1) By the route assigned in the last ATC clearance received;
(2) If being radar vectored, by the direct route from the point of radio failure to the fix, route, or airway specified in the vector clearance;
(3) In the absence of an assigned route, by the route that ATC has advised may be expected in a further clearance; or
(4) In the absence of an assigned route or a route that ATC has advised may be expected in a further clearance by the route filed in the flight plan.​

To Mike Ox

Not necessarily so. Check Omaha. The VOR is the same name, not on the field, however the designator is different.

Not necessarily so. Check Omaha. The VOR is the same name, not on the field, however the designator is different.

That is true but the name of the airport is not Omaha...it is Eppley. Like Louisville...direct to Louisville is different that direct to Standiford.

Latest resources

Back