Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

This is easy.

You tell the controller you have a VFR GPS, and you need a vector heading direct when able.

The controller tells you, fly heading 235 degrees, direct DQN when able. You are legally flying IFR under a controller's direction, until you can receive DQN with your VOR. If you want, when you switch to a new controller, you can ask for a new heading direct.

I had a similar situation a while back. I was flying a plane WITHOUT a GPS, IFR or VFR, and we didn't have a handheld either (this was a Wright Model B that we leased-hahaha!).

We were at about 1500' MSL out of a S. TX airport (at about o'dark:30). The controller asked if we had an IFR or VFR box to go direct to Detroit. I told him we had NO box, whatsoever, but we could take a vector, direct when able.

THe controller cleared us, heading 135 degrees, direct Detroit when able-it's about 1100 miles or so. I had the maps out, and tracked our position via VORs as we went along. Every time we got a new controller, I told him we were on a vector, direct when able.

Sometimes flying a night is great!

Cliff
SDF

KingAirer said:
To be able to deterimine your position accurately using traditional means, other than seeing the ground, your going to need two of someting. Two VORs, VOR and NDB, VOR/DME etc...QUOTE]

Really! I guess my instrument rating doesn't count, since the Cherokee 140 I used for the check ride had only ONE VOR and no ADF. The DPE had me pretty busy doing an intersection hold using only the ONE VOR on board.
BTW: This was a loooong time ago, and I have since learned to cope with using multiple navaids, even GPS and FMS.:D

well..... thanks for the information. I have enjoyed reading all of your comments. I guess I kind of did the right thing according to some of you.

I just looked at the old low alt. chart, looked at the APE VOR and picked a heading the I thought would get me there.

I NEVER EVER..thought of looking at the GPS to give me a hand with the heading. That may have been illegal ;)

Thanks again for all of the information.

rettofly said:
KingAirer said:
To be able to deterimine your position accurately using traditional means, other than seeing the ground, your going to need two of someting. Two VORs, VOR and NDB, VOR/DME etc...QUOTE]

Really! I guess my instrument rating doesn't count, since the Cherokee 140 I used for the check ride had only ONE VOR and no ADF. The DPE had me pretty busy doing an intersection hold using only the ONE VOR on board.
BTW: This was a loooong time ago, and I have since learned to cope with using multiple navaids, even GPS and FMS.:D

Just curious how you defined the intersection with only one vor? Also, note that all the things i listed are navaids and not aircraft instruments.

KingAirer said:
Just curious how you defined the intersection with only one vor? Also, note that all the things i listed are navaids and not aircraft instruments.

alternate the navaid freqs and bearings??? it's time consuming and not the most accurate, but there's nothing in the FARs that says you have to have two VOR receivers

AHHHH...neither did I! :D

Look im saying you must be picking up 2 VORs. or 2 of something to triangulate or define your position.

KingAirer said:
Look im saying you must be picking up 2 VORs. or 2 of something to triangulate or define your position.

One VOR and a stopwatch works too. You don't need 2 VOR's, although it does make things easier.

KingAirer said:
AHHHH...neither did I! :D

yea, but not necessarily at the same time

and for avbug, if everyone could navigate by dead reckoning while in clouds, we wouldn't need IFR navigation. Granted, with equip failure, it's the only way, otherwise it's just stupid. I don't know where you fly and what you fly, or whether you fly at all (having read some of your rants), but asking for a vector or declining "direct" would be the safest thing to do, IMHO

"I flew the TEB 5 every night for over a year, single-pilot and was cleared direct everywhere, often with two VOR's and a DME. Get your chart out, pick a heading, and wait to get yelled at. Otherwise....you're doing fine."

Or you could save yourself a potential violation and remind them of your equipment type.

ATC makes mistakes. And nowadays they often assume everyone has some sort of area navigation. If you are cleared direct to some interesection and you wandered off course and they asked you what you were doing and you told them you only have 2 VORs and a DME they would say "Why didn't you say so? Fly heading XXX cleared direct XXX VOR when able"

Using Vors to do mental Rnav calculations for direct navigation (to someplace other than to or from a vor) is an oddball procedure that simply isn't necessary. Or expected by ATC. Or accurate. Or smart. By god especially if you are flying in amongst mountains. Heck they went to alot of effort to create airways that are reliable to navigate, have garaunteed radio coverage and terrain clearance ect. Why on earth would you throw that protection away?

Now all this being said, I have certainly flown direct without Rnav or gps. I have done it on small scales like the 30 miles or so between EWB and OWD where there is an ndb at OWD but you don't pick it up till about 10 miles out. Just flew a 350 heading till the NDB comes in. I have also flown from the Carolinas to the Northeast at night that way in a Cheyenne using a method like Avbug described. But we were well above any mountains and we weren't in a busy terminal area where tolerances are tight.

But really in the EWB to OWD case I should have asked for a vector and in the second case should have flown the airways, or taken a vector for direct when able to someplace up the road.

This is accepted, normal, pilot procedure stuff and I am fairly amazed at some of the opinions here :)

Sctt@NJA,

I'll join you in amazement at some of the rants.

"XXX123, you're cleared direct PARKS"
"ah, sorry, we're slant alpha tonight"
"my bad, fly heading 080 & join the 12R localizer"

Is it POSSIBLE to fly a fix-to-fix accurately? Yeah, we did it all the time in the T-38. Is it a clever idea in a busy terminal area? Absolutely not. As winds change in the descent, you can either spend ALL your time continuously updating your track, or else you may end up flying a pretty curvy path "direct" to said fix.

As for drawing on my charts, that works a lot better when the charts don't have to last for several dozen flights in the same area before they get replaced.

In my small segment of the -121 world, we don't fly fix-to-fix in /A jets. It isn't considered a legal clearance, and I've NEVER had ATC take offence at us turning one down.

Like I said, I was pretty surprised at some of the posts here. Looks like some folks consider pilot DR an adequate substitute for an INS, and cross-tuning VOR's an adequate substitute for GPS or automatic DME/DME updates. Um, no, thanks! Not at 250+ knots!

Snoopy

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back