• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Clarity Aloft

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Love them.. I fly a Saab and it is quiet when I wear them. Allow some time to get used to not having a headset on your head, I felt naked for about a week. I use the new tips about once every month and half or so. The volume control is great and the comfort is amazing. I went through the Sennheisers KH-25s, then the Telex 50Ds to these. Amazing quality and durability. I recommend them. Takes a bit of getting use for the fit but very nice.
The only cons I would say is buying new tips, for about 23 bucks and that supply should last about 6 months or so. Another con is when it is cold, the tips must be warmed with your hands prior to placing in the ear to get a good seal.

Hope this helps!

P2J

Love them.. I fly a Saab and it is quiet when I wear them. Allow some time to get used to not having a headset on your head, I felt naked for about a week. I use the new tips about once every month and half or so. The volume control is great and the comfort is amazing. I went through the Sennheisers KH-25s, then the Telex 50Ds to these. Amazing quality and durability. I recommend them. Takes a bit of getting use for the fit but very nice.
The only cons I would say is buying new tips, for about 23 bucks and that supply should last about 6 months or so. Another con is when it is cold, the tips must be warmed with your hands prior to placing in the ear to get a good seal.

Hope this helps!

P2J

It is possible to make your own ear plugs for the Clarity Aloft. Get some ear plugs, put them in the freezer and drill a hole straight through them...viola, cheap plugs. Even better when your company gives the plugs out in the crew room!

As for the headset, I wear it in the ERJ which is pretty loud up front and the Clarity Aloft does great. I'll never wear anything else.

Wear them in the 737 and my Piper Saratoga. Great in both aircraft. Make sure you pull your eartip back during insertion so you can get a tighter seal. You do feel a little naked at first, but after awhile you don't even realize you are wearing a headset.

How does it compare to a Bose X? I keep reading all over the web it beats Denalis, and is on par with Bose except it's not a headset so it's nicer?

Last edited:
Come on, someone else please comment, Santa has bills to pay and probably won't feel like blowing the money a week from now.

Create your own plugs! That is awesome! Do you mount them on the old posts from the original ear plugs?

The bose X is either amazing for you or bad, just like all the other headsets. It is a very custom choice. Good luck and Merry Christmas!

can u get custom ear molds made for the aloft?

Yes you can.

I went into the first audiologist around here in South FL that I could find and I had them for $80 in 2 weeks. I gave them a pair of my earplugs that came with the headset to ship it off with the impressions. The company that actually does the molds was already familiar with the headset and I got the molds back fast. They simply screw onto the tips just like the foam plugs that came with the headset.

The molds make the headset 2x better. It is dead quiet and way more comfy with the molds. With the original tips you have to press the tips in hard when you fly low and fast. At least in the ERJ145 it was a problem around FL200 +/- a few 1000'. Still very good with the tips as well.

Anyways... one advice for the custom molds: When they make the initial impressions tell the audiologist to leave that portion of the mold that goes into the ear canal long. They like to cut a good 4-6 mm off of that. Don't let them cut that part too short. Also, have him/her make a nice and tight mold. It helps if you try not to move your jaws while waiting for the molds to harden. I didn't know, and there is a slight leak on my right side so I am getting a bit of a wind noise. If I just slightly press against the mold with my finger (barely touching it) it becomes super quiet. Of course I am lazy to go back and redo the molds (for free) partly because the noise is insignificant, and partly because I am never f_cking home... ever... like right now.

The one negative thing about the headset: The band that goes around your head is IMO a little tight. Or you could say my head is a little too big. Unfortunately my head does not seem to get any smaller with time. This may become a problem because the band is NOT adjustable and I can see how it will cut into my puffy face in a year if I keep eating buffalo wings with Amber Bock on overnights. Other than that, the headset is excellent and no complaints after about 3 months. With the additional volume control you can even tune those altitude alerter beeps to a level where they won't cause instant hearing loss before every level off. You also get a built in ipod adapter for those who care. I don't have an ipod nor will I listen to music in flight so I can't comment on the quality of that.

Adios.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back