• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aa73

9E = ?
9L = ?
XJ = continental express (or express jet, whoever the hell they are now?)
OH = ?
EV = ?

sure would be nice if folks used actual airline names instead of these codes randomly drawn from nowhere. thx.

OK thanks... two things: Who in the heck comes up with EV for ASA... 9E for Pinnacle... OH for Comair (unless it's because they are based in CVG, Ohio)... and most of all... XJ for MESABA??? I thought XJ stood for EXPRESS JET? Who comes up with this crud?

And secondly... could you all be kind enough to use actual airline names when posting? Getting hard to keep track of everyone who uses whacky code names (unless it's obvious, like AA, DL, etc.)

Well, there's only about 1000 combinations of IATA codes, and just like anything else, all the good ones are taken. So most airlines get stuck with codes that have no relation to their names.

But it's the cool thing to do these days, hahaha. i do happen to agree with ya

Ever heard of IATA?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IATA

THAT is who assigns those codes. And they've been around nearly as long as the industry has. Any pilot who hasn't heard of them, or the difference between their and ICAO's airport and airline codes , has been hiding under a rock.

OK thanks... two things: Who in the heck comes up with EV for ASA... 9E for Pinnacle... OH for Comair (unless it's because they are based in CVG, Ohio)... and most of all... XJ for MESABA??? I thought XJ stood for EXPRESS JET? Who comes up with this crud?

And secondly... could you all be kind enough to use actual airline names when posting? Getting hard to keep track of everyone who uses whacky code names (unless it's obvious, like AA, DL, etc.)
You're kidding right....
You're either not in the industry or so out of touch you think CP flies CRJs, or ASA has EMBs.
Did you get those acronyms???

Ever heard of IATA?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IATA

THAT is who assigns those codes. And they've been around nearly as long as the industry has. Any pilot who hasn't heard of them, or the difference between their and ICAO's airport and airline codes , has been hiding under a rock.

I thinks u need to go back under the rock you crawled out from. :laugh: You obviously missed the whole point.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back