• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CL300 Sets speed record

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wasn't there a speed record set by one of our X's from SAN to CHS with a flight time of 2:56.... It was last year with Steve Fosset on board.

With that claustrophobic cabin and stumble-inducing floor, it had better get there fast :D

Just kidding. The C-750 is a sharp airplane.

I think that Flexjet's motivation behind the record is to show the CL-300's strength on long-haul flights among aircraft in its class.

LXJ31 said:
With that claustrophobic cabin and stumble-inducing floor, it had better get there fast :D

Just kidding. The C-750 is a sharp airplane.

I think that Flexjet's motivation behind the record is to show the CL-300's strength on long-haul flights among aircraft in its class.
CL-300 is a lot more comfortable up front too from what I hear... If you are going to fly 3+ hours you probably could use the extra room.

flexlrpilot357 said:
Inject some common sense into that math. They weren't at Mach 0.83 in their first segment climb, or on short final, for Pete's sake!

I guess a 26 knot loss in average speed is reasonable. I have several FAI and NAA records and although it is difficult to make much of a difference on a flight as short as CRQ to BGR, there are techniques you can use to help yourself out. Number one is coordinate with ATC for unrestricted climbs and descents. Number two is time your flight for non-peak traffic times at departure and destination airports. It helps. At any weight less than 89,000 lbs I can be out of 10,000 feet in less than 3 minutes. Climbing at 300/M 0.80 and depending on how far I'm going, I'll be at 41,000 in 13 to 22 minutes from takeoff. Thereafter, as I burn off fuel I drift up to optimum altitude at whatever my cruise airspeed is to be for the flight (M 0.87 to 5000nm, M 0.85 to 6000 nm, M 0.83 to 6300 nm, M 0.80 to 6750 nm). I stay at altitude as long as I can, then barber pole it down to a planned descent point of 10,000 feet 25 nm from destination. I look to be on the ground within 7 minutes of that point. At some foreign destinations you don't have to slow to 250 below 10,000 feet so you can beat 7 minutes. We always plan for a constant speed cruise, but if I'm fat on fuel towards the end of a flight and don't have water under me, I push it up.

Using those techniques on a flight from CRQ to BGR with the same conditions the CL300 had, I would probably only go to 37,000 feet in order to take advantage of the winds, spend a longer time at high speed cruise and possibly have a higher temp to give me a higher true. However, if I went to 41,000 feet as he did, I would spend 13 minutes in the climb, 234 minutes in cruise, 16 minutes in the descent and be on the ground in Bangor in no more than 4:23. Maximum speed for the flight would be M 0.87 (499 Kts) plus the wind for 546 knots. Average speed for the flight would be 533 knots. The longer the flight is, the closer the average speed will be to the maximum cruise speed.

GV

FLYLOW22 said:
Wasn't there a speed record set by one of our X's from SAN to CHS with a flight time of 2:56.... It was last year with Steve Fosset on board.

Here it is...average speed - 631.6 knots. Incredible!

Sub-class : C-1 (Landplanes)
Group 3 : turbo-jet
Speed over a recognised course : 1 169.71 km/h

Date of flight: 05/02/2003
Pilot: Steve FOSSETT (USA)
Crew: Douglas A. TRAVIS
Course/place: San Diego, CA (USA) - Charleston, SC (USA)

Aircraft:
Cessna 750 Citation X (2 Rolls-Royce AE3007C, 6'442 lbs each)
Registered 'N377SF'

GV

GVFlyer said:
I guess a 26 knot loss in average speed is reasonable. I have several FAI and NAA records and although it is difficult to make much of a difference on a flight as short as CRQ to BGR, there are techniques you can use to help yourself out. Number one is coordinate with ATC for unrestricted climbs and descents. Number two is time your flight for non-peak traffic times at departure and destination airports. It helps. At any weight less than 89,000 lbs I can be out of 10,000 feet in less than 3 minutes. Climbing at 300/M 0.80 and depending on how far I'm going, I'll be at 41,000 in 13 to 22 minutes from takeoff. Thereafter, as I burn off fuel I drift up to optimum altitude at whatever my cruise airspeed is to be for the flight (M 0.87 to 5000nm, M 0.85 to 6000 nm, M 0.83 to 6300 nm, M 0.80 to 6750 nm). I stay at altitude as long as I can, then barber pole it down to a planned descent point of 10,000 feet 25 nm from destination. I look to be on the ground within 7 minutes of that point. At some foreign destinations you don't have to slow to 250 below 10,000 feet so you can beat 7 minutes. We always plan for a constant speed cruise, but if I'm fat on fuel towards the end of a flight and don't have water under me, I push it up.

Using those techniques on a flight from CRQ to BGR with the same conditions the CL300 had, I would probably only go to 37,000 feet in order to take advantage of the winds, spend a longer time at high speed cruise and possibly have a higher temp to give me a higher true. However, if I went to 41,000 feet as he did, I would spend 13 minutes in the climb, 234 minutes in cruise, 16 minutes in the descent and be on the ground in Bangor in no more than 4:23. Maximum speed for the flight would be M 0.87 (499 Kts) plus the wind for 546 knots. Average speed for the flight would be 533 knots. The longer the flight is, the closer the average speed will be to the maximum cruise speed.

GV

Interesting post, GV. Do you work for Gulfstream?

Latest resources

Back