CL300 Sets speed record

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GVFlyer said:
Well actually, yes. Chief pilots and Aviation Directors are so influential in determining the purchase of Gulfstreams that the company does much to accomodate them. There is a Customer Advisory Board, an Aviation Managers and Pilots seminar at Workshop and much customer golf.

Also, the sales executives normally approach a company through it's aviation department as opposed to going in at the Chief Financial Officer level as NetJets and others commonly do.

GV

I have done some demos recently and while initiating contact with an organization through its aviation department is effective, the purchasing decision is almost always the guy signing the check ie. a boardroom member. He will listen to his crew but the bottom line speaks much louder.

Sidenote: Recently did a demo where the competition (Dassault) told the customer the reason other jets have winglets is because their respective wing designs were mediocre. I thought it was funny...

Last edited:
capt_zman said:
Going over the numbers last night, looks like this airplane (for our purposes) is going to obsolete our GIV. Incredible.
Congratulations on your purchase of three CL 300's. I have a friend who is a Bombardier salesman and he showed me the airplane when it was first certified. Nice cockpit and a roomy cabin.

The CL300 may be more appropriate for your mission, but I don't believe that it has made the G-IV obsolete.

You are comparing a 75,000 lb, M 0.88, 4120 nm, Large-Cabin jet having a 40'4" L X 6'2" H X 7'4" W cabin to a 38,650 lb, M 0.83, 3173 nm, Mid-Size Cabin airplane with a 23'7" L X 6'1" H X 7'2" W cabin.

With all things considered, there was no comparison between the CL300 and the X or G200, especially at 17mil a pop.
Yes, it's an amazing airplane at it's price. The G200 has the edge on speed and range and a slightly larger cabin, but it costs $4 million more. The Citation X is more price competitive at $19.26 million and quick (2978 nm @ M.0.85; 3098 nm @ M 0.82), but the cabin is small: 23'6" L X 5'8" H X 5'6" W.

I think Flex Jet is going to sell a lot of CL300's. If entry into service goes smoothly it will be a great "Continental" aircraft.

GV

At the risk of spewing crap in a topic where I know next to nothing, isn't one of the shortcomings of the CL300 the support? Bombardier got very low rankings on the Aviation International News rankings of customer support, and that seems to be consistent with comments that have been posted around here.

Has Bombardier improved their customer support?

http://www.ainonline.com/Features/productsurvey.html

Again, I don't have any experience in this area, so take my comments for what they're worth (next to nothing).

The G-IV and CL300 are apples and oranges in most areas. Its not fair to compare the CL-300 in terms of pax and range and ts not fair to compare the Gulfstream in terms of price.

One of the best aspects of the 300 with respect to private operators and Flexjet is the design philosophy. Most of the major system components are Line Replaceable Units (LRUs) which can be changed out in less than twenty minutes; the paperwork takes longer. With regard to the AIN article, that publication tends to shaft Bombardier when they get the chance. At any rate, last year included a large restructuring of Bombardier Corp. so I could understand if the customer service rating when down. If it isn't markedly improved this year, I'll eat my hat.

Hey doesn't the Sovereign do Mach .84 and cost about 12 million?

Just kidding. The 300 is a great looking airplane and should sell well....

Last edited:
What's the X fuel burn at .92 cruise? I've never flown one but always wanted to know.
At max cruise, FL 410, about 900lbs a side starting and 850lbs a side at the end of the trip. Of course higher temps and higher altitudes lower those numbers. I have noticed a big drop in fuel flow when you pull it back to .88, after that the savings are much smaller. LRC varies from .79 to .82 depending on weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I heard, the X could not carry the fuel necessary for the CRQ-BGR trip, that is why that city pair was chosen.

Maybe I'm wrong, any X pilots around?

The X should need about 10,000 #s and could take 11,400 #s with 8 pax unless TO runway length is an issue.... Not sure if it is at CRQ, but it is at HPN rw 34. Would take about 4 hrs 24 minutes with those winds @ ISA 41,000 ft.

Latest resources

Back