• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

suupah

CJC: ALPA or IBT. vote and reasoning.

Which do you prefer for CJC.

Please post your preference and your reasoning.

Last edited:
ALPA

I think ALPA is a better fit for CJC because

-They are a better advocate for our profession with the folks in Washington. IBT does no such thing on behalf of pilots
- Other autonomous unions such as Southwest's pilot union contract ALPA for their services because they have the best services available to pilots during negotiations.
- In the event of a merger with another ALPA group we stand the best chance of a "fair and equitable" seniority integration
- I want to join with the 55000 plus other pilots in ALPA to make this profession as good as it possibly can be.

hopefully colgan will go out of business soon and you won't have to worry about unions

ALPA is better if you get into an accident/incident.

An in-house union is better for everything else. I think this is because they are solely responsible for and aware of your pilot group.

Just my opinion.

An in-house union is better for everything else. I think this is because they are solely responsible for and aware of your pilot group.

Just my opinion.

How is ALPA not solely responsible for and aware of their pilot group?

Just my opinion.

I'm living through the horrors of an in-house union right now. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

ALPA

I think ALPA is a better fit for CJC because

-They are a better advocate for our profession with the folks in Washington. IBT does no such thing on behalf of pilots
- Other autonomous unions such as Southwest's pilot union contract ALPA for their services because they have the best services available to pilots during negotiations.
- In the event of a merger with another ALPA group we stand the best chance of a "fair and equitable" seniority integration
- I want to join with the 55000 plus other pilots in ALPA to make this profession as good as it possibly can be.

ALPA for all the reasons above plus aeromedical services and other services god-for-bid one needs em.

No in house union's president sits before Congress and offers testimony.

No in house union belongs to an international federation of pilot unions. Why is this important? Because we are competing with the worlds pilots as well as our own. If we don't help other pilots up, they will pull us down.

In house unions cannot strike because there is simply no money to pay for the strike. Management knows this when they come to the negotiation table (nor not). Just compare the UPS and Fedex contracts!

Last edited:
No in house union's president sits before Congress and offers testimony.

No in house union belongs to an international federation of pilot unions. Why is this important? Because we are competing with the worlds pilots as well as our own. If we don't help other pilots up, they will pull us down.

In house unions cannot strike because there is simply no money to pay for the strike. Management knows this when they come to the negotiation table (nor not). Just compare the UPS and Fedex contracts!

Gimme an A! Gimme an L! Gimme an P! Gimme an A! What's that spell? Rah! Rah! Goooooooooo ALPA!!!!
:puke:

In spite of ALPA's shortcomings I believe they offer some excellent individual services.

As Afraid mentioned the aeromedical services and the loss of license insurance too. You're really gaining the strength of a larger association by going "out of house"

Latest resources

Back