Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

robert garland

snoring bear
Anybody familiar with any problems with the CJ2? I've heard issiues with the anti-skid and cabin cooling. Does the CJ2 have freon A/C? How is the range and fuel burn? How is elbow room up front and in the back compared to C-560? Any complaints on noise level? Any safety issiues? Any info would be helpful.

I have about 500 hours in the CJ2, and hopefully I can give you the answers you're looking for.

Air Conditioning:
The early serial numbers (up to around 100) have the Freon refrigerant, and all later models use R-0134 refrigerant. The system is okay, but you can forget any kind of cooling once the temperatures get 90+. However once you get airborne and in the mid-teens to lower 20's it works much better. Get to the higher FL's and the system will freeze you out of the cockpit! The blowers never seem to work real well in the cockpit (low or high gives you abotu the same low output), but the ones in the cabin work great.

Cockpit / Cabin Room:
I've also flown many hours in the 560 as well, and I'd have to say the elbow room is comparable. The 560 might have a slight edge, but it's not really that noticable. I fly with a guy who's about 5' 11" and 225, and we don't have any comfort issues in either.

In the back, the 560 I think has a much roomier and comfortable cabin. I've sat back in the CJ2 several times inflight, and I always thought that'd be an uncomfortable place to be after more then an hour or so. Big thing is leg room. If you have passengers who are sitting facing each other, both of you won't be able to stretch your legs out much more then a foot or so.

Fuel Burn / Range:
We hang out at FL430 and 450 most of the time, and you'll typically be looking at 320-340 pph/side. In the 30's you can generally count on about 450 pph/side, and the 20's about 550 pph/side. Tanks hold 3960 lbs. We fly out of the midwest (OK and KS) and we can go non-stop to the east and west coast without any problems. The west coast as long as the winds aren't too strong. If winds are strong, we typically stop over in Phoenix or Las Vegas for fuel. Last time we went to Long Beach from KS we landed with 1.5 hours fuel on board. On average it takes typically 2 to 2.5 hours to east coast, 3 hours to the west coast. The range on the CJ2 is published at about 1,450 miles. This is fairly accurate, as long as you have 2 or 3 people in the back. Take a full fuel and full passengers, and about 1,200 is what you can expect.

Noise Level:

Not too bad, although I have little other jet experience to compare it with. We typically take our headsets off and listen over the speaker once we get past about FL300. Below that and the noise is enough that it makes it difficult to hear the other pilot talking.

Qutstanding information on the CJ2. Thank you so much 997. Let me know next time you come to Dallas. Owe you a steak at Nick & Sam's. You will enjoy the bone in rib eye and the scenery.

robert garland said:
Qutstanding information on the CJ2. Thank you so much 997. Let me know next time you come to Dallas. Owe you a steak at Nick & Sam's. You will enjoy the bone in rib eye and the scenery.
I'll defintely take you up on that offer! ;)

Just currious but with full fuel and passengers what kinda of TO distance are you looking at on a 90* day? Also is the CJ2 a Single pilot plane?

It sounds like you are talking about a max gross take-off, which in the CJ2 is 12,375 LBS. You need to know the elevation to review take-off performance. For instance out of Aspen you could not depart on a zero wind day VFR with a temp greater than 10C* at max gross. At 10C* and 15* flaps you will need 5500 Ft of runway. Thats the only table I have on the CJ2 and not a very good example. If you have an elevation perhaps someone withe the tables can look it up.They advertise takeoff runway length at Max Gross of 3420 ft (sea level,ISA, per FAR 25) and a single engine climb rate of 1123 feet per minute per same.

robert garland said:
...and a single engine climb rate of 1123 feet per minute per same.

Seems like that's pretty good SE performance (granted sea level, ISA), isn't it?

Not too familiar with anything bigger than a Duchess, which has almost no SE performance, so I can't really say whether or not that's good...but it seems okay.

What kind of SE performance would you get at higher temps/elevations? SE Service Cieling? Does the fuel flow go down the crapper at cruise with one out? How far can you go if you need to on one at cruise?

-mini

minitour said:
Not too familiar with anything bigger than a Duchess, which has almost no SE performance

mini you are going to love jets!
it is a world of difference... as in twin prop se, "prepare to crash" vs
jet single engine "well, we are going to be late to the bar tonight"!!

Latest resources

Back