• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CJ2 crash @ Santa Monica

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not much information provided in this article. Happened on the airport grounds vs in the surrounding neighborhoods. RIP

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/29/crash-santa-monica-airport/2894191/

Thoughts and prayers for all involved.

Lousy reporting typical of drive by journalism care of the Useless Today. Very few facts and full of prejudgment. "The crash was not survivable" BS. SMO sucks all the way around, do they even have CFR? They spend all their money on rentacops and noise monitoring rigamarole.

RIP all.

Thoughts and prayers for all involved.

Lousy reporting typical of drive by journalism care of the Useless Today. Very few facts and full of prejudgment. "The crash was not survivable" BS. SMO sucks all the way around, do they even have CFR? They spend all their money on rentacops and noise monitoring rigamarole.

RIP all.

You won't have to worry about that anymore. SMO will be closed to jet traffic by the end of the year and gone as an airport within 5 years.

This is what Malcolm Gladwell calls a "tipping point."

Condolences to the family and friends involved.

You won't have to worry about that anymore. SMO will be closed to jet traffic by the end of the year and gone as an airport within 5 years.

GOD I hope you're right

SMO and jets don't play well together..... only a matter of time before an inexperienced pilot stalls a jet on take off while trying to "reduce noise"....

there is no need to go into SMO (LAX, LGB, BUR, VNY, SNA, ONT) jeez, how many options do you need??

I hate that freaking airport

Last edited:
GOD I hope you're right

SMO and jets don't play well together..... only a matter of time before an inexperienced pilot stalls a jet on take off while trying to "reduce noise"....

there is no need to go into SMO (LAX, LGB, BUR, VNY, SNA, ONT) jeez, how many options do you need??

I hate that freaking airport

I dislike operating into that airport too. But every time we let the anti-airport, anti-business, noise whiners bully an airport into closing (Meigs, etc.) another small piece of general aviation dies.

I cut my teeth in this business buzzing around in a C-152. Between fuel prices, insurance costs, over-regulation, and airport closures, those opportunities for the next guy are rapidly disappearing. And that hurts EVERYBODY that plies this trade, no matter how frustrating and stupid it can sometimes be.

This is unfortunate for many reasons.

Sounds like another owner flown airplane finds the weeds. It always amazes me how some will spend 10 million on an airplane but cheap out on the talent up front as if it's "just an option" to have a safe and professional crew up there.

This is unfortunate for many reasons.

Sounds like another owner flown airplane finds the weeds. It always amazes me how some will spend 10 million on an airplane but cheap out on the talent up front as if it's "just an option" to have a safe and professional crew up there.

Hmmm

Reading helps

if preliminary reports are correct a tire blew out (not likely to be crew related this time)

I'm not trying to come across as a heartless ass, but a well trained, professional crew would be less likely to lose control in an abnormal situation than your typical CEO Top Gun commando.

Some of the scariest aviators I have ever seen are tearing up the skies around HPN on every sunny weekend.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back