Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyf15

Hey guys,

So, in a few months I'll be a CFI with a little more than 500 hours and an engineering degree with a high GPA (I've heard these are both important things for the following)

What are my chances of being able to go straight from a civilian such as myself to being a pilot in the ANG? Is it even possible? I'm curious to hear from people who have experience in this area, rather than a recruiter who will do anything to get me to sign the dotted line.

Also, if it makes a difference, I live in Colorado. Is one able to join another state's ANG?

Thanks much!

I did what you did, 13 years ago. You need to contact and send a cover letter to every unit in the nation, or only the ones you want to join. Also stopping in to personally visit with a unit is a good idea.

I didn't live in the state which selected me for UPT. You just have to be willing to move to the unit and be comitted to the ANG.

I think you have a great shot at a slot. Just don't give up. Some units will turn you down but if you stay comitted you will get a slot.

Good Luck

CLAMBAKE

First you need to get a "package" together. This is your resume, AFOQT/BAT scores, transcripts, copies of your medical, license (pilot and driver) and recommendations (pilots/instructors, professors, job bosses ect). At some units the package may vary alittle but thats the jist of it. Try and get the AF medical done too before the board meets also.

Then you need to call around to as many units as you can and ask about who you could speak to about upcomming "UPT Selection Boards". I found the best people to talk to are the Squdn. Ops Officer, Training Officer or Sked officer. These guys will direct you on how and where to send you package. Some units have recruiters do it some have you send it right to them at operations.

After you've done this its alot like rushing a fraternity house. Show your face at the local units if you can and get to know the guys. Call the ones you cant visit.

About once a year most units have a UPT selection board. A few month prior to the board they will sit down and go thru the packages and select who they want to interview. Again it varies from unit to unit but its basically like a get to know you job interview.

I interviewed at one F16 unit where we sat at a table in the units bar room and shot the breeze. Both guys interviewing me were full timers and sat there with their flight suits unzipped, very informal. Another unit had me in a conferance room witht he vice wing commander and other unit commaders and they were all in dress blues.

When they hire they usually pick a primary and alternate. The primary gets the first slot and the alt is there if the primary drops out or can't pass the medical or quits. The following year the alt guy usually become the primary. Sometimes there are more than one slot so there are several guy hired. I interviewed a 4 units and had 2 alt slots and one primary but did not pass the medical.

There is a book out by air inc that has units and contact numbers listed but a yahoo or google search of the ANG should get you a list of units and most have their own home pages with contact and UPT board info.

I must say that i did this in the mid to late 90's pre 911 so the process may have changed. Back then you could basically get on base by driving up to the gate and telling the guard you were there to drop off a pilot/officer application. Then the guard would call operations and in a few seconds walk back to you in your car and tell you which building was ops and how to drive over to it. I don't think that happens today.

good luck

Ditto...do not be mad if it does not work out the first year. . Take all the AF written tests before your send in a package. It makes you more competative against those who did not and 1 less thing the squadron has to deal with. Also, send the package directly attn: XXXth Squadron Commander. Get it into the right hands, not the recruiter...I repeat, not a recruiter. I am still getting calls 3 years later after sending in a package for interviews but laugh and tell them thanks but a little late. Good Luck

What they said.

I did the ANG application and actually had a slot on a C5 guard unit. Problem was the medical. They are much stricter about it with a new hire, so be prepared. If you've had ANYTHING thats happened in your past, it could (and probably will) come back to haunt you. You can pass a first class medical and the military may still find something to DQ you on. The unit I applied to I believe didn't give me a full chance, ie. sending in all the paperwork, so they dropped me. Things changed for me in the meantime, so staying civilian is working out well for me anyways.

Guard Units

The Texas ANG has been known to take drunken frat boys from Yale. Maybe you shouldn't tell them about the high GPA.

larryiah said:
The Texas ANG has been known to take drunken frat boys from Yale. Maybe you shouldn't tell them about the high GPA.

Here's another recent post from larryiah...

larryiah said:
It's called putting all of your eggs in one basket. He stretched us too thin with an unnecessary and unjustified war that has killed 2000 of our boys. There are few troops available and even fewer who want to go after three tours in Iraq. Can you blame them?

Its bad when the woman Governor of Louisiana, the Mayor of New Orleans, Sheppard Smith, the Mayor of Grand Isle, Bill O'Reilly, and even Jessee Jackson appear to be stronger leaders.

Bush is an idiot, and it was just a matter of time until a situation such as this haunted him.

In other words, I don't think he's here to help you in any way he can. Lots of other good advice posted here though, although Larry may be attempting to hijack the thread a little, but I guess I've done that before too. Larryiah does bring up a good point though, Don't put all your eggs in one basket. I'm very glad that I'm still in the AF Reserve and proud to serve our country, and being in the service really helped me to keep flying during an almost 2 year furlough from a previous airline. Good luck. Think about both the Guard and the AF Reserve. Active Duty is another option, especially with your flight time and GPA--great benefits and retirement, but a long commitment (last I checked, 10 years after you graduate pilot training).

I was under the impression that the ANG was the only of the 3 (Active Duty, Reserves, ANG) where one could be guarenteed to be a pilot before they are committed. I thought with the other two it was more of a "You have a good chance, but you'll end up where we need you" Whats the case on these two?

flyf15 said:
I was under the impression that the ANG was the only of the 3 (Active Duty, Reserves, ANG) where one could be guarenteed to be a pilot before they are committed. I thought with the other two it was more of a "You have a good chance, but you'll end up where we need you" Whats the case on these two?

If you apply for Active Duty (Air Force), you can actually apply for pilot only, and if you don't get selected, you are under no obligation to go. Pretty much the same for the AF Reserve. I don't know if the Navy or Army do it the same way.

"You have a good chance, but you'll end up where we need you"--This could happen only if you put "Air Force Needs" on your Active Duty Application.

AF ROTC is differerent because if you are under a commitment, there have been times in the past where people have lost pilot training slots, yet still are obligated to the Air Force.

I hope this helps.

Latest resources

Back