Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
hindsight2020 said:
Hey Viper,

I am not sure about your assesment of the AFRC route. Nobody "interviews" at the AFRC board, it's a paper board. If you meant the latter and I just misread your intent, I apologize.

As it relates to the unsponsored package route, which I believe you were alluding to, I have an unsponsored package in front of the Board this October. If the unsponsored package is approved by the board one is NOT assigned or otherwise forced to enter a unit. Rather, it is up to the individual (with some help from Robins, yes) to seek an inducting unit. Your slot expires when one is no longer age-eligible to enter UPT (30y/o, this excludes folks in FWQ and such etc etc).

That is my understanding of the process, but maybe I misunderstood your post altogether so feel free to clarify or correct me.

I'm not totally up to speed on this process, but I think you are more correct than I am. There are a couple pilots in my unit that did not interview and wouldn't have been hired had they interviewed. From what I understand, they came in unsponsored.

...If I had a dollar for each prior-enlisted pilot in my squadron....

Actually, that's not just a cliche, it's absolutely true, we have quite a few prior enlisted pilots flying the E-3, don't ask me why they would want to fly the E-3, or even worse, come back to the E-3 after sitting in the back when they were enlisted. Anyway, going from enlisted to pilot is not a bad idea these days, not only do you get the free college, you can get the government to pay for instrument training and continue to rack up those hours. I'm on that path, currently almost 80 college credits and a PPL with 70 hours and counting. At this point I'm not sure that I want a career as a military pilot (after being in AWACS), but I'm thinking about joing the Delta connection academy or Continental express.

I'm new here, just a little background, I am a flyer on the E-3, or AWACS, and sitting in the back of a windowless takes guts, but it's not quite my cup of tea, so I'm just staying the course and getting the college part over with so I can send in a package. I have lots of info on the pilot application/ots process, so if you have questions you can shoot me an email.

Jeff

Another little bonus if you are enlisted will be your pay when you go to UPT. I enlisted after high school and will get 0-1 w/5 years of service while at UPT. Won't be a huge difference in pay, but every little bit counts.

peter185 said:
Another little bonus if you are enlisted will be your pay when you go to UPT. I enlisted after high school and will get 0-1 w/5 years of service while at UPT. Won't be a huge difference in pay, but every little bit counts.

What will you be flying after UPT?

100% tuition assistance, so when my last class cost $500.00 and I didn't have to pay anything except for books, I'm pretty sure that's free college.

Jeff

Oh Yeah...

...I did that too, ANG for college. Great deal.

I thought you meant active duty.

ANG college benefits vary by state, so free college is not a guarantee. My last 2 years of school (2003 & 2004) Texas only paid for 6 hours of tuition at a state school.

I used the GI Bill to pay 60% of my instrument, commercial, CFI, CFII, and CE-500 type. Then I used TA to pay for college. Going in the guard/reserves for college or flight training is a great deal

Latest resources

Back