• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Civilian or Military? You Decide

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Civilian for me. I have a lot of respect for those who choose to serve their country in the military, and I think it's great that people are able to get thier flight training courtesy of the DOD. However, even if I could have passed the physical (vision--I'm about 20/200 uncorrected), just being in the military really wouldn't be my thing. This is not to say that if my country really needed me, I wouldn't join up somehow. But it's not the case right now.

-Goose

28 yrs, no regrets. retired with 7800 hrs (you do the math). Flew to 162 cities in 142 countries. I had ONE staff tour of 4.5 yrs. Family seperations were common, money was ok. I was able to get hired by a "regional" still logging my instrument time and landings in hopes of getting on with the majors. I make more money now 3rd yr pay than I did on active duty.

pilotyip said:
Comment on job security in the military, they downsize just like every other company. Look at the Post Viet Nam era, massive RIF's, look at the "Cold War Peace Dividend" more RIF's. When the mil gets ahead on headcount, they also use the promotion boards to reduce their numbers in their ranks. In fact Money Magazine a few years back rated the Military Officer as low of the lowest job security rating of any job. Right now their is a conflict we hear about Stop Loss, but four years from now, it could we are overstaffed, bye bye guys.
Very true.

frog_flyer said:
kind of arrogant to say you've DECIDED to go ANG. you'll be VERY lucky if you get a slot through that route.
When you have more than 40 hours and have done the military thing you can come talk to me. For now keep your a$$hole, I mean mouth, shut.

Next TankerDriver,
I do know what military pilots go through as a I know a few. My question is not really what I should do, but what are the benefits of each. For example, how do the AD guys like their life? Is it miserable? Not how much time they get to fly, I already understand that.

Finally, for the rest... I do know/have an idea what it takes to get an ANG spot off the street; don't say it can't be done because it can. With the ANG, you can apply to an unit anywhere in the US to get a spot. Like I said before, I wasn't here really to ask what I should do (sorry if I came across like that) but what does everyone think of the type of lives they have.

Don't waste your time in the military, just get your ratings as fast as possible and get a job. Seniority is everything, amigo!

I agree it is arrogant to assume that you can just get a job with the air guard.

I think what you should do is stick to the civilian route and try to get a scholarship to help pay for your flight training.

If you are as lazy as your profile indicates, just go to www.gulfstreamacademy.com and you will make your dreams come true!

I don't think you know how difficult it is to get a spot, hotshot. You must be the proverbial stick.

Brightspark

Joshrk22 said:
When you have more than 40 hours and have done the military thing you can come talk to me. For now keep your a$$hole, I mean mouth, shut.

Next TankerDriver,
I do know what military pilots go through as a I know a few. My question is not really what I should do, but what are the benefits of each. For example, how do the AD guys like their life? Is it miserable? Not how much time they get to fly, I already understand that.

Finally, for the rest... I do know/have an idea what it takes to get an ANG spot off the street; don't say it can't be done because it can. With the ANG, you can apply to an unit anywhere in the US to get a spot. Like I said before, I wasn't here really to ask what I should do (sorry if I came across like that) but what does everyone think of the type of lives they have.

Well, you can ask 20 people on AD what life is like and get 20 different answers. Everyone has their own situation and their own opinion. I can say that life is not bad at all as a tanker pilot on AD in the USAF (right now), if you can get past all the BS and focus on the important things as an officer and a pilot. We do deploy a lot and spend lots of time away from home, but that's the job and the desert deployments are slowing down a little bit anyway. I honestly don't mind deploying since that is when I get to do the job I came in to do and not stare at a Dell and answer phones 8 hours a day. Staff jobs and office duties are going to be inevitable unless you're that weasel that always has an excuse and seems to get out of everything that comes up (but always land the good trips to Turkey, South America, Hawaii, etc... gotta love those guys!). It is up to you to be proactive and go for the job you want to avoid getting the job noone wants.

I know quite a few guys that have been passed over 2 or 3 times for assignments because they want a 3rd flying assignment and AFPC won't give it to them. They're all Majors or close to pinning on Major coming up to their 10 year commitments and AFPC wants to put them in a staff job. A few of them have said they'll separate if they can't get another flying assignment. What kills me is that the DoD is willing to give pilots a bonus to stay in at their 10 year point ($125,000 for another 5 years), but yet won't give'm another flying assignment. Why not just call it an "officer bonus" because once you do a staff tour for 3-4 years as a Major, they're going to throw you into a DO or CC position afterwards where you'll be flying about once a month. I work very closely with my DO and CC in the job I have and see how swamped they get in the office. It is very hard for them to get out and fly.

As far as the ANG goes, most units prefer to hire from their own state. I will tell you that the unit I got hired to was 100% manned and told me that being from the state and already rated in the aircraft was the two criteria one had to meet to even be called to an interview. Of course off the street slots are a bit different, but it still helps to be from that state. ANG slots are not a dime a dozen. Yes, it is possible, but you could consider yourself extremely privileged to get a lot off the street, especially landing a job at a unit on the other side of the country. They're going to ask you, "Why us?" and if you say, "Well I applied to 50 other units in the US.", they're going to laugh and move on.

TankerDriver said:
Well, you can ask 20 people on AD what life is like and get 20 different answers. Everyone has their own situation and their own opinion. I can say that life is not bad at all as a tanker pilot on AD in the USAF (right now), if you can get past all the BS and focus on the important things as an officer and a pilot. We do deploy a lot and spend lots of time away from home, but that's the job and the desert deployments are slowing down a little bit anyway. I honestly don't mind deploying since that is when I get to do the job I came in to do and not stare at a Dell and answer phones 8 hours a day. Staff jobs and office duties are going to be inevitable unless you're that weasel that always has an excuse and seems to get out of everything that comes up (but always land the good trips to Turkey, South America, Hawaii, etc... gotta love those guys!). It is up to you to be proactive and go for the job you want to avoid getting the job noone wants.

I know quite a few guys that have been passed over 2 or 3 times for assignments because they want a 3rd flying assignment and AFPC won't give it to them. They're all Majors or close to pinning on Major coming up to their 10 year commitments and AFPC wants to put them in a staff job. A few of them have said they'll separate if they can't get another flying assignment. What kills me is that the DoD is willing to give pilots a bonus to stay in at their 10 year point ($125,000 for another 5 years), but yet won't give'm another flying assignment. Why not just call it an "officer bonus" because once you do a staff tour for 3-4 years as a Major, they're going to throw you into a DO or CC position afterwards where you'll be flying about once a month. I work very closely with my DO and CC in the job I have and see how swamped they get in the office. It is very hard for them to get out and fly.

As far as the ANG goes, most units prefer to hire from their own state. I will tell you that the unit I got hired to was 100% manned and told me that being from the state and already rated in the aircraft was the two criteria one had to meet to even be called to an interview. Of course off the street slots are a bit different, but it still helps to be from that state. ANG slots are not a dime a dozen. Yes, it is possible, but you could consider yourself extremely privileged to get a lot off the street, especially landing a job at a unit on the other side of the country. They're going to ask you, "Why us?" and if you say, "Well I applied to 50 other units in the US.", they're going to laugh and move on.

Thank you for a mature answer to my question. Unlike the rest of the flamebaiters...

I wasn't flame baiting earlier. I may have misinterpreted what you wrote, but communication skills are important for an officer...you may want to remember that. You came across initially like most have already said you did.

Latest resources

Back