Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Joshrk22

Sierra Hotel
Tough decision I guess... Would you rather fly civilian or do the military route. I've thought about all the possibilities; just civ, just mil, and now I'm thinking about doing the civilian and ANG thing.

What are the pros and cons for each type of flying? If you could do it all over again, what would you do?

You heard my decision (Airlines & ANG), I want to hear what everybody else thinks. I'm not too fond of the 10 year active duty, but I don't care for the airline's QOL either.

Thoughts...

Lots of not flying

This subject has been gone over a bunch of times; you can do a search. Remember you do not join the military service to fly, you join to serve your country to fulfill the needs of the President by flying. You serve at the pleasure of the President. No matter what you think of the President you will do his bidding. You will not fly that much in the Military unless you go to a conflict. There is tons of office duties and family separation. In 11 years of Navy Active duty I got 2,500 hours, 800 of it in 6 months during Vietnam, then averaged under 200 hrs a year. I was gone from home for nearly 4 years. Saw my wife and son from about about 11 months in three years. If you go into fly, you will have a 10-11 year obligation, which as an officer will include at least 3-4 years of not flying and doing office duties, or standing phone watches at a command center evening and weekends. Or in the Navy floating around on a boat not flying. It is not a lot of flying. BTW if you don't like the airlines or the mil 10 year thing, why do you want to fly for a living?

Last edited:
kind of arrogant to say you've DECIDED to go ANG. you'll be VERY lucky if you get a slot through that route.

frog_flyer said:
kind of arrogant to say you've DECIDED to go ANG. you'll be VERY lucky if you get a slot through that route.
Yea, I don't think flying for the military is one of those, "...and then" kind of decisions. It's something you have to have an aspiration to do.

The good thing about the Guard, is it is an excellent backup for an airline job. Times were getting a little tough for me lately, so I volunteered for a 60 day deployment. 2 hours after I sent the email, I received an assignment and will make MEGA bank $$. The 60 days would almost equal my first year regional pay. Also, if you live at your guard base, it would mean a lot more time home from the airline job. Too many great things to list about the guard, but if you have an opportunity to do it, you'd be foolish not to give it a try.

Remember though, service to your country comes FIRST. It isn't a flight club or an easy way to ME turbine time.

Good luck.

I wanted to do Mil, dang eyesight isnt 20/20 uncorrected. Someone in my family did 30 years in the Air Force with no regrets, wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. You will have something to be proud of, and a great career you can stay with if the airlines keep going down the toilet. Hopefully you won't have to worry so much about getting "furloughed" (forced out) in the mil, unless they downsize. I think the Reserves/ANG is a great idea to get the best of both worlds.

On the other hand, at 28 I have gone from cfi, charter, and RJs to my 2nd heavy jet and had a friggin good time doing it. If you are just looking for the big bucks and a good lifestyle, this probably isn't the career for you. You just can't count on it as a given anymore. There are just too many airlines whose management has run them into the ground.

If you really like flying, have an open mind, and can live with getting furloughed (been through that twice), then stick with it. Civ or Mil, you just might end up going places and seeing things in the world that most people never get a chance to do.

Now back to your regularly scheduled flaming, bashing, and lashing brought to you by the members of Flightinfo.com :)

See ya!

McNugget said:
Hopefully you won't have to worry so much about getting "furloughed" (forced out) in the mil, unless they downsize. I think the Reserves/ANG is a great idea to get the best of both worlds.

See ya!

Which they are! At least the USAF. Not pilots though, right now, but they're letting us out of active duty left and right.

Josh,

I recommend trying to get a guard slot, but like people have already said, they're not easy to get. I'm separating from AD to the ANG within the next few months. Of course, I'm already rated, which makes it a lot easier to land a job with a unit. Off the street slots are limited.

Since you're debating being a commercial pilot vs. being a pilot in the military, I can tell you have no clue what life is like as a pilot military, because they are two different worlds (I'm talking active duty AF). You don't just fly a 3 day and go home. Flying is your second job and doing your duties as an officer (most likely admin/desk work) are primary. Depending on the airframe, you may only fly 2-3 times a month. I know guys who struggle to get out of the office to fly once a month to stay current. Please do your homework and find out exactly what being a pilot in the Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines, whatever service you're interested in, is like before making the move. Yes, the military provides job security to an extent, but don't do it for the job security alone.

Comment on job security in the military, they downsize just like every other company. Look at the Post Viet Nam era, massive RIF's, look at the "Cold War Peace Dividend" more RIF's. When the mil gets ahead on headcount, they also use the promotion boards to reduce their numbers in their ranks. In fact Money Magazine a few years back rated the Military Officer as low of the lowest job security rating of any job. Right now their is a conflict we hear about Stop Loss, but four years from now, it could we are overstaffed, bye bye guys.

Latest resources

Back