Civil Air Patrol Until Retirement?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Creamer

I had almost 14 years of active duty service in the Air Force before I made a clean break to the airlines. I'm considering joining the CAP in the Anchorage area for community service, family opportunities with my kids, and the pure fun of it. Is it possible to be an active member of the CAP and earn points for no pay towards a reserve retirement?

Creamer said:
Is it possible to be an active member of the CAP and earn points for no pay towards a reserve retirement?
As long as you are not a CAP Reserve Assistance Officer (CAPRAP). I did the CAPRAP thing for 12 years. It is a Cat E, points only, reserve job. You could only be a patron member of CAP. The other Cat E position is Academy Liaison Officer.

Caprap

Im pending orders into the CAPRAP myself. How'd you like the program? I assume it went well for you since you stayed for 12 years!

Do you have a POC for orders there? It's been taking them almost year to move on my hard copies!

CAPRAP is run through Air University

at Maxwell AFB. Try comm 334-953-5225 or-6091. Who you REALLY need to talk to is the Liaison Officer for your state. Presumably, Maxwell actually knows who that is and can put you in touch with him/her. (S)he will be your supervisor, and if (s)he hires you, should go to bat for you to get orders pushed through.

It's a very easy job, and a good way to accumulate good years without earning a ton of retirement points. AS close to being retired as you can get without actually retiring.

On the downside, it is often frustrating to get the most simple things done. Want a couple of MPA days? Gotta start the process 7 - 8 weeks in advance. :eek: Need to file those MPA orders for pay? Orders go to Denver for mil pay. Travel voucher goes to Dobbins for processing. If you thought it was difficult to get anything done through your MPF (CBPO for those of you who've been out awhile) when they were on the other side of the base, try getting something done when your MPF is Denver. :eek: Two weeks late getting your physical? Sorry, any points you earned those two weeks will not be awarded. :eek: :eek: You get the picture.

All that said, it's OK if you just keep your eye on the ball. Get those 20 good years, get the retirement.
:beer:

Plug: Ohio could use some CAPRAPs in the Cleveland/Akron/Youngstown area. PM me if you're interested and I'll put you in touch with the OH Liaison Officer.

Tailwinds,
-Gwadwerc

:)

I've been touch with both the SD and the WRC, but it seems the hold up is @ HQ CAP. It's been more than 6 months now since the papers have been resubmitted and they seem to like to move reeeeaaallllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyy SLOOOWWWW there. Hell, I have yet to speak to someone LIVE and I have been calling that office for a year and a half now. That is just piss poor. On the other hand, like you said, it's a great way to continue the points till retirement -- AND the flexibility to go volunteer to go on extended active duty for exercises or deployments on one of your old AFSCs or special duties when the patriotic mood hits the peak every once in while. I can just see the horror when dealing with ppw -- but as long as the points get logged and I get my roof sometime in the future, I'm ok with it. Besides, what better way of wearing the bag without having to worry about currencies? BTW, you have any resourse on bag patches? The company listed in the CAPRAP handbook only does orders in mass production of 200 or more and I only need a couple of each -- AETC, Air U and CAPRAP.

Last edited:
SoundBarViolatr said:
Im pending orders into the CAPRAP myself. How'd you like the program? I assume it went well for you since you stayed for 12 years!

Do you have a POC for orders there? It's been taking them almost year to move on my hard copies!
I started in FL then TX and was the WRC in WA. Retired 3 years ago. I amazed that it is taking that long to get your paper work through. See if the state director can put some pressure on them.

SoundBarViolatr said:
BTW, you have any resources on bag patches? The company listed in the CAPRAP handbook only does orders in mass production of 200 or more and I only need a couple of each -- AETC, Air U and CAPRAP.
When I was the WRC I use to order patches from the CAP Bookstore in Maxwell to give to the new guys. I just looked on the http://www.cap.gov/ web site and they have a company running the "Online Store". http://www.civilairpatrolstore.com/store/store.php?page=2&cat_id=108 has the AETC patch. The Bookstore carried the CAP-USAF and Air U patches. Maybe call the Online Store and ask them if they have them. The Bookstore did not list them in the old paper catalog but I was able to order them.

SD and WRC are waiting for CAP HQ to issue orders..I do not know how much longer they are willing to wait. I am starting to think that I should look for another special duty assignment. I started attending unit meetings and just got informed that I may not be credited for them (Im on IRR awaiting orders) when I turn in my 40As at the end of the month. So I think I may just standby until I get hard copies before I do anything else.

FWIW at Maxwell there is CAP HQ (HQ for the volunteer corporation) and CAP-USAF HQ (Military unit subordinate to AU and AETC that handles all USAF support of CAP) If you are trying to go CAPRAP and something is screwed up, it will be on the CAP-USAF HQ side (CAP HQ doesn't do anything with USAF personnel, including CAPRAP's)

CAP HQ and CAP-USAF HQ are at opposite ends of the HQ buildong.

Latest resources

Back