Citation Encore..The good, the bad?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

H.Agenda

And any operational gotchas.. I would love to hear about them. Also is this plane approved to land on grass or unimproved runways? ie most runways in the bhms?

Mucho thanks in advance!

Great plane... Expensive engines to overhaul... they do make a gravel runway kit for them that spins up the nosewheel with bleed air.... I have only seen a couple of 560's with that mod.

You give up a little fuel to get the trailing link gear... but the extra 500# of thrust a side is a nice thing, and allows you to get to altitude quicker than the Ultra or the straight V.

Very stable... easy to fly...

LB

...on a side note the cockpit windows on the 550/560 series seem to be an issue. Luckly they last about 10 years but they usually develop cracks after about 3-4 years and then you go on an accelerated inspection ... every inspection brings the fear of replacement which is very expensive and time consuming.

We did hot sections for 70K on the encore. That seems to me to be pretty affordable. Great airplane to fly. Only problems is you can now get a used XL for about $1M more. Stand up cabin, APU, and Lav. XL will not be landing on gravel/grass runways though.

This could be a dumb question but is a gravel kit required to land on grass per operating manual?

Great plane... Expensive engines to overhaul... they do make a gravel runway kit for them that spins up the nosewheel with bleed air.... I have only seen a couple of 560's with that mod.

You give up a little fuel to get the trailing link gear... but the extra 500# of thrust a side is a nice thing, and allows you to get to altitude quicker than the Ultra or the straight V.

Very stable... easy to fly...

LB

I don't believe it is REQUIRED... I'm guessing it is going to be more up to your insurance provider than anything.

I don't believe it is REQUIRED... I'm guessing it is going to be more up to your insurance provider than anything.

I think you are right. I found out that the gravel kit is 70K, is allegedly completely not worth it unless you are continuously going in and out of unimproved runways.

70K sounds right since its about 7K worth of materials and its aviation so you add the zero and poof...

Great airplane, I have about 600 hrs in type. The power is very helpful and appreciated. Trailing link makes us look better, quite cabin, nice low fuel burns at altitude. All in all, a great airplane.

Let us know what premium the insurance company is going to charge for grass. I am always running in and out of the Bahamas, where ru looking to operate?

Avrat

Good plane, had issues with emer press. I would select it at altitude after a two hour cold soak to see if it works, good chance it won't. Only other counter intuitive with it is the Ultra is a better high and hot airplane. If you are going to be a mountain troller, the U-boat has better numbers for takeoff in particular.

Latest resources

Back