Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyboy Sabre 65

Let's see one
A Citation just went down in lake Michigan just outside of MKE. Doesn't look like there is anything left of the airplane. They just put divers in the water. When I hear something I'll try and post it.

UPDATE: Six people were aboard downed airplane

Six people were onboard a corporate jet that went down in Lake Michigan shortly around 4 p.m., an federal aviation official confirmed.

Tony Molinaro, a spokesman with Federal Aviation Authority's Great Lakes region in Chicago, said the twin-engine Cessna 550 departed Mitchell International Airport for Willow Run Airport in Ypsilanti, MI shortly before 4 p.m. Within five minutes the pilot contacted the tower, declared an emergency and requested to return to Mitchell, Molinaro said. The plane then disappeared from FAA radar, he said.

The FAA contacted the US Coast Guard and requested they begin a search.

Currently, six to 10 divers are searching for the plane and any survivors, said Milwaukee Fire Chief Doug Holton, and there are more divers on standby.

Firefighters, police and Coast Guard officials are involved in the search, about a mile off McKinley Marina on the downtown Milwaukee lakefront.

Pat Rowe, a spokesperson for Mitchell International, said the airport closed for about 20 minutes after the distressed pilot first requested a return.

I believe this aircraft was operated for the University of Michigan by Marlin Air out of KYIP for lifeguard flights.

Latest resources

Back