Cirrus vs. Columbia

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JimNtexas said:
I guess that's why Cirrus insurance is double that of a Mooney and triple that of my Cardinal.
Or it could be that the Cirrus is worth two Mooneys and three 177s

FlyingSkip said:
OK, DaveJ, with all due respect that didn't answer my question one bit. I fly the Cirrus on a daily basis and know what it feels like to taxi it, and I disagree that I get no rudder effectiveness---but then again I flew freight and fly pax now so I'm taxiing a BIT faster than you're teaching your students to do. Straightaway I usually taxi at least 20 minimum, more like 30 when I can get away with it, so maybe that's the difference. Maybe I'm getting that rudder effectiveness that everyone else is looking for. In any case, I personally don't see any difference but maybe I've answered my own question---and Dave helped so forget the part at the beginning where I said you didn't help! And like I said, maybe I've just always used more brake than others do so that doesn't feel different either. Any other bright ideas anyone?
I agree, I thought that the Cirrus would taxi funny, but it did not feel any different than any other light single that I have flown.

I've flown 3 types of castoring-nosewheel-steering planes and the SR-20/22 is the hardest to steer. The DA-40 is by far the easiest. It only takes light toe pressure to turn, whereas the Cirrus takes monstrous brake squeezing. And foggetabout taxiing in a strong crosswind. Anyone seen the AD on right wheel fires due to excessive brake riding in the Cirri?

I'm sorry for my bias, in their favor, the GTS models are a giant leap forward from the originals.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back