• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cirrus vs. Columbia

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just wish I had the kind of coin to be able to afford either one of these fine airplanes instead of being a "professional pilot" and relegating myself to a lifetime of flying something someone else owns cuz I'll never be able to have one of my own!!!

Although I've always liked that line about "if it flies, floats or *****, rent it don't buy it". I had a wise man tell me that one time and I haven't been able to prove him wrong no matter how hard I've tried!!!

FlyingToIST said:
Oh boy,
don't even get me started on insurance companies about Cirrus. They wanted 1000 TT/ 500 Instruction and 250 HP for a Sr20 CFI. I guess they don't know that people are hiring into some regionals with hours lower than that. Also, why request a HP on an aircraft that is not an HP?
This is the underwriter request.. I won't mention any names but the name goes with a rising bird from ashes :)
The Cirrus is high performance, it puts out 310 HP, which is over the 200 that requires a hp endorsement.

siucavflight said:
The Cirrus is high performance, it puts out 310 HP, which is over the 200 that requires a hp endorsement.

The SR22 has a 310hp engine but he was talking about the SR20, which has a 200hp engine, thus, no HP endorsement required.

-Neal

FlyingToIST said:
All you had to do is to go to www.cirrusdesign.com and see the specs of the airplanes. Go there, see them and we'll talk later :)
I thought that we were talking about the SR-22, not the SR-20 Because you really can not compare the SR-20 to anything that is in the Columbia line.

kaj837 said:
Not having flown a Cirrus yet, I have little to add, but I am aware of a company in Orlando, Fl that rents SR-22's with the following minima: PPL with Instrument, 250 tt ot 150 hrs in a Cirrus Aircraft, 3 to's and ldg's in an SR-22 in previous 90 days, and they require that complete their Cirrus trasition course, and have a proficiency check with them in the previous 12 months. Apparently their insurance carrier is a bit more liberal. None of those requirements seems terribly out of line. Incidentally, I have no connection with them, I just happened to see their website. http://www.flyairorlando.com/index.htm

Those are fine mins to rent but the 1k 500 given HP endorsement is for instruction in the aircraft. Insurance underwriters make a killing off of instruction. I'm suprised they dont require the $5K factory CFI training course. There is an acronym for it but I don't remember it it. If I had 5k to spare I would take a 208 course at flight safety.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back