• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cirrus vs. Columbia

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Another thing to consider heavily is the availability of service and parts. Cirrus has a much larger service network than Lance air.

Yes the insurance is high for a Cirrus.

I have flown both, and hands down the better plane is the 400. What is really cool with the 400 is that you have the option to get either the avidyne display or the G1000 display, the one I flew had the G1000 and it also had the keyboard on it to type rather than having to use the knobs to scroll through letters, made setting up a flight plan much easier. The speed of the 400 blows away the SR-22, the plane feels much more solid, has the speedbrakes, and can get up really high, the layout of the cabin is better, and the seats are more comfortable than the Cirrus.

mzaharis said:
Isn't a 350 a more direct comparison to the SR-22? Normally aspirated, much closer in price.
Yes the comparison is closer, but I would still take the 350 over the Sr-22 G2

Never flown the Columbia but sat inside---I don't think the ergonomics are quite as good, at least to my hand. I like the way everything on the Cirrus is right under your hand---throttle, flaps, fuel selector, etc. I agree with the post above---the 400 is a heckuva lot better on paper, and probably in te air as well in terms of speed and altitude, but you're talking apples and oranges in terms of the initial capital outlay---it's more than twice as much according to the websites!

As far as SATSAir, see my former posts. Can't speak to the person J Mac speaks of, but the majority of us hired were over 3000 hrs with prior 121 or 135 experience---for the simple reason that as the company grows they expect those people to move into management. I won't defend the gentleman (?) in question, but I will say it's a professionally run company, they value decent people who concentrate on customer service, and it is definitely NOT a company to go and build time towards a regional job, etc. Most of us came from those backgrounds and look at this as a place to enjoy a decent QOL and have a decent schedule. For a SE airplane, it's pretty kickass---and I learned hw to fly on things a little bigger than 172s so I think I am qualified to state that...as my opinion.

And if you work at SATSAir---you don't have to wear those fa**ot a** shirts with the epaulets on them...definite bonus for that in my book!

I might, but from the sound of it most of the guys flying for Dave are returnees from last year, so they won't need much. Damn the luck---I could use a little extra buckage!!! As far as your post went---I have an idea of who you're talking about---political correctness rears its' ugly head or I'd tell you my opinion! Have a good one John---I hope the flight instructing gig is working out. Don't diss on SATS too much---if things work out they want to have a huge fleet of planes and there are a LOT of worse gigs out there!:beer:

Hell, from what I hear they already have a huge fleet of planes and I wouldn't mind working for them one bit. All I know is what went down with that fella. So my bad on assuming too much. Gotta remember not to ASSUME 'cause that'll make an ASS of U and ME! Flight instruction gig is going I guess. Still wintery you know so it's a little slow. I usually fly at least once a day though so that's great in my book. Speakin of:beer: I'm headed that way right now. If you get a run to AVL come up stairs at Million Air and say hi. Just don't don't laugh too hard at my epaulettes or whatever they're called! Peace out.

Last edited:
siucavflight said:
I have flown both, and hands down the better plane is the 400. What is really cool with the 400 is that you have the option to get either the avidyne display or the G1000 display, the one I flew had the G1000 and it also had the keyboard on it to type rather than having to use the knobs to scroll through letters, made setting up a flight plan much easier. The speed of the 400 blows away the SR-22, the plane feels much more solid, has the speedbrakes, and can get up really high, the layout of the cabin is better, and the seats are more comfortable than the Cirrus.

Thanks for that feedback. Anyone can look at what the spec sheet says but I was specifically looking for info from someone who has test driven both of them.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back