Cirrus vs. Columbia

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mcjohn said:
If you like the view from a Cirrus then you can get a decent job flying the new Cirrus air taxi service out of GMU - SATSair.
What kind of mins are they hiring with, do you know? I had never heard of this company till I went on their website, and under employment it only says "We hire only highly experienced... blah blah blah..." At the end of the day, it still is only a Cirrus.

I think 135 IFR mins is it. There was a guy who flys for them that came into the flight school where I work looking for part time CFI work. Chief said no b/c 135 on demand out of GMU mixed with instructing at AVL wouldn't work well. The guy got all upset and starting telling our chief how big of a mistake he was making and how he has more experience than anyone blah blah blah. So then the chief looked into his background after he left and it turns out that this guy was a F/O for Mesa for years and flunked pretty much every sim check he had but Mesa kept trying to hold onto him and retrain but to no avail.
Moral of my story, SATS air is probably not too hard to get on with.
To the gentleman who I spoke of, if you happen to read this, I apologize. Your privacy is less important I guess than spreading what many may consider helpful info. Sorry.

I was reading in some magazine that the Cirrus was stupid expensive to insure because people keep crashing them.

Any word on that?

Wankel

mitsdriver it really comes down to two things avionics and speed...versus gas
Cirrus is avidyne and they keep breaking..but if you negotiate you can keep replacement cost to 5000 dollars a unit after warranty...and tornado alley is working on a turbo normalized stc to compete speed wise with the 400...400 is faster and a gas hog..and very narrow with really bad visibility and goes really fast..its really fast..get it?lol and 400 has garmin 1000 now

I thought that they were supposed to be less to insure because of the lack of retractable gear and the silly parachute system. But it wouldn't surprise me if that changed rapidly seeing as how folks have pulled the chute on final or inside of a severe thunderstorm.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back