Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: Sep Classes, Screwdrivers

Hovernut said:

The good folks at CVG security almost had my fuel strainer as a souvenir last month when I went to visit family in STL. A young lady searched my bag and said she'd have to take it, but I pleaded my case as a CFI and showed her my company ID and licenses and she apologetically gave it back to me, kind of embarrassed she had raised the issue in the first place.

Why did you have it in the first place???

You flashed a CAA ID and everything was O.K.? No wonder CVG security gets such a bad rap...

Last edited:
I showed them my NASA astronaut application and they said that I was good to go. In their defense I signed it really nice and my buddy was a witness to it. Oh yeah, they said even though I was a potential astronaut I was still not to be trusted with my fingernail file. It's all fun and games until someone gets stabbed with a 1" fingernail file.

You know, occasionally when I visit back home in STL or friends elsewhere, I like to fly a local airplane I've been checked-out in. That means I have to bring the tools of the trade...headsets, STRAINER, etc. Of all the airports at which I've been screened, including Montreal where you have to turn everything electrical on, Boston-one of the flashpoints, St. Louis, Atlanta, and LaGuardia, no-one has EVER quetioned the fuel tester that has a 1" screwdriver in the cap. I've even gone through the anal-probe at the gate a few times with it. So, when the folks at CVG squawked at it, naturally I was suprised and dismayed and calmly and discreetly tried to resolve the situation using the means available to me....licenses, ID's whatever, wouldn't you do the same? I was prepared to lose it, but not without reason.

It's ridiculous when you and I get pulled aside for having a benign tool of the trade, or some clippers or a file, while the TSA or some idiot is able to sneak real or simulated weapons through the checkpoint! I miss my Leatherman!

C'mon, is flying 'small' airplanes that far removed from your memory? Geez!

lowly CFI

onetaco said:
There must be some kind of mistake. Those CVG screener are top notch. After all, they spotted the nail file on my finger nail clippers last fall, and promptly broke it off & discarded it. Then kindly gave back the clippers, sans nail file.

My hat's off to the screeners for the good find (nail file). The only bummer was when I got out to the RJ, I had no file to sharpen the crash ax...

Hovernut said:
It's ridiculous when you and I get pulled aside for having a benign tool of the trade, or some clippers or a file, while the TSA or some idiot is able to sneak real or simulated weapons through the checkpoint! I miss my Leatherman!

C'mon, is flying 'small' airplanes that far removed from your memory? Geez!

lowly CFI

Hovernut her's something you may want to check out

Flightinfo.com Hangar > Aviation Message Board > YGBSM...(You've Got To Be Spoofing Me)! > Dorky Pilot Series

Yes it has been a long time.....I remember that any plane I ever rented had a fuel strainer...But I know things can change...hell we didn't even use headsets when I started and I'm not that old. Just curious, do you use a flight case while teaching a lesson?:)

I'm lucky to make it to the plane with just my headsets and a lesson sheet...on time! I read that other thread....my stomach is still hurting from the laughter. I've seen just about all that at my school...the rolling flight cases....the 2' tall window decals....crew tags, but the topper is our security manager with "FLT PAY" on his corvette plates!! I'll have to contribute a few funnies I've seen, too.:p

Latest resources

Back