Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flydaddy0499

Now accepting donations:)
I was just sitting here inspecting my fine Montecristo Edmundo in anticiaption of a smoke later today; and then the thought hit me....

Does anyone have any experience flying for any cigar manufacturer? If so, would you care to share your experience? Did you get free sticks to smoke? Any job leads??

Montecristo Edmundo? Not a bad choice my friend. Have you tried any of the CAO line? Tony Soprano smokes 'em and I love their anniversary line.

I have never heard of an aircraft owned or operated for a cigar company. I always assumed that most of the big cigar companies are either too small to justify an airplane or owned by a holding company of some sort.

Ahh yes, CAO Maduros are choice in flydaddy's humidor. I haven't yet tried some of their newer items.

I was thinking that some of those companies would at least have a light turbo-prop or something of the sort. The cigar business is doing quite well these days, even in the face of the anti-tobacco movement. Of course, I am not an everyday aficionado; maybe twice a month. Nontheless, I would fly a 421 or 414 for a good cigar company if they were decent operation. Oh well, I guess I'll add cigar companies to the list of dream companies to fly for. I'll put them right next to Girls Gone Wild flight dept.:D

mmmmm stogeys

I know a majority of the cigar brands are owned by a few companys. General Cigar comes to mind, and a spanish company too. I believe there are something like 1/2 dozen companies that own all of the big brands. It would seem reasonable that one of them would have an aircraft but I really don't know. I loooove cigars. In my poor years (not finished yet) I have become something of an expert at finding top quality cigars at good prices, without the brand atttached. Next time you are at a shop or in a catalog, check out private stock. They are made in the Griffins/Davidoff/Zino factory of the same tobacco, but at 1/4 the price. Instead of paying 5-12 bucks a stick they are 2-3 with awsome quality tobacco.-kingaira90PS: if you find a cigar company that has a flight dept I would be willing to do a steel cage match to see who gets the job;)

kingaira90 said:
I know a majority of the cigar brands are owned by a few companys. General Cigar comes to mind, and a spanish company too. I believe there are something like 1/2 dozen companies that own all of the big brands.
Some of the best cigars made come from Cuba. It’s just the U.S. that has an embargo on them. You can get a fine Havana cigar in many countries. A friend purchased a box when in Spain six years ago when he was there being fitted for a custom made Arietta shot gun. He knew it was not legal to bring them back into the U.S. but he did anyway by just packing them in his suitcase with no particular effort to conceal or hide them. He figured he had a good chance of them not being noticed at customs, and if they were the worst that might happen is that they’d be confiscated.

He was right. They came into the U.S. un-challenged, and I was the recipient of two stogies from Cuba.

As far as working for the flight department of a company based in Havana, I’m not sure I’d even want to be in an airplane maintained in Cuba. LOL

There is a company based in Tampa that is a mail order house. (Largest in the country from what I hear.)

They used to have a Citation 3 but are flying a Hawker 800 now I believe. One of the managment companies at TPA handle the airplane for them. Knew a guy that flew for them, It involves taking the owner to his fishing boat and going fishing in Mexico and the keys a good bit from what I have been told.

Down side is the managment company payscales........not the best from what I heard.

True the Havana smokes are mighty fine, constantly with top ratings in cigar officianado, many dominican smokes score well too including CAO, Padron etc!

Although for the purpose of this discussion I wasn't referring to anything from Havana. General Cigar is an american Company. The same company that owns the machine made brand white owl, they also own a large portion of the Premium/Hand made market. I believe the spanish company I referred to is Altidus or something like that (I am positive that I have at minimum butchered the name). As far as I know, all of the Cuban brands are state owned. Not my idea of a cush corp gig, even with a steady supply of Cuban Cohibas and Monticristos.

KeroseneSnorter said:
There is a company based in Tampa that is a mail order house. (Largest in the country from what I hear.)

They used to have a Citation 3 but are flying a Hawker 800 now I believe. One of the managment companies at TPA handle the airplane for them. Knew a guy that flew for them, It involves taking the owner to his fishing boat and going fishing in Mexico and the keys a good bit from what I have been told.

Down side is the managment company payscales........not the best from what I heard.

would that be thompson cigar co? They are out of Tampa, very big and been around a long time.-kingaira90

kingaira90 said:
would that be thompson cigar co? They are out of Tampa, very big and been around a long time.-kingaira90

That name rings a bell. I think that is the one. They swapped the C III for the Hawker about a year or so ago I think.

KeroseneSnorter said:

I think management companies (not all but most) are not good for our industry. I believe it takes away good opportunities for pilots to make a decent wage. Most of the management companies I know of only use contract pilots to fill the need for trips. While contract money can be a good thing, it does not generate any company loyalty amongst the pilots filling the day trips. I think most owners would be far better off hiring a competent Captain and Co-pilot to manage the aircraft.

Anyway, thanks for the tips guys. Maybe one day I'll get to fly for the stogie farms and retire on some island south of Florida. It sure sounds like dream job from where I am standing. Long ashes to everyone who loves the "carribbean fatties".

Latest resources

Back