Christen Eagle?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

slackass

Hey folks. I am an 8000 hr pilot looking at exploring light aerobatics and am considering a Christen Eagle. I will certainly look at professional instruction but am wondering about the reputation of the Eagle. I want to play and use it recreationally. I am a neophite in this area of aviation and am looking for helpful insight. Comments or direction for information would be apreciated.

Blue Skies!

You should join I.A.C, also your local chapter. Start going to the meetings.. you will meet lots of good people with lots of insight. The monthly magazine is a plus, lots of great info in it. More than often they have 'fly day' where you can get some stick time in your favorite aero..

Good luck.

The Eagle is sort of a modern and improved version of the Pitts S2A sold in kit form. The kit is very expensive. You can buy a flying Eagle for less than the cost of the kit.
The S2A will still bring more than the Eagle because it's not expermental and you can give instruction in it.
If you don't plan to use it to give instruction the Eagle is great.

Having owned a S2A and a Eagle I prefer the Eagle. More comfortable cockpit with better vis in my opinion.

Get decent aerobatic training from someone with a good rep. There are several folks with decades of experince in the IAC.

Landings are also quite different from lots of planes. There is a guy down in PHX who does Pitts training. I would highly recomend him if you are looking for tail wheel training.

Owned Three Eagles, great airplanes!

I owned a Christen Eagle and it was awesome. A good friend had an S-2A. I like the Eagle much more than the Pitts as long as you can live with the limitations of it being experimantal. ie not instructing in it etc. My Christen Eagle was about 5 knots faster than the Pitts S-2A, the cockpit is much more comfortable with better visibility. Hardest plane I have ever landed. Takes a little getting used to doing the rudder dance. I think the Pitts may be a touch easier to land since it has that bungee cord type suspension on the front gear. It gives a little more. I got a book on doing aerobatics in the Pitts and taught myself how to do most maneuvers. If you put the throttles at idle and let go of everything it will come out of most any out of control scenario by itself. I just flew the plane for fun and never had any desire to compete in aerobatics. By yourself with a half tank of gas it is a lot of fun. A harness with the ratchett on the waste belt is highly recommended if you plan on doing much negative stuff. I bought mine already built. Cheaper and didn't have to wait to finish building it. Just need somebody that knows what to look for when buying a built one. Being experimental, there are varying levels of build quality out there.

Latest resources

Back