• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Freightdog75

Don't hassle the Hoff
Few questions........

For those new hires.......How long did it take to get a call back after sending your resume? How long(for the call) after the interview?

How many 170's a month. Hiring right into them or ? Junior bases?

Life at CHQ?

Just sent resume, and am looking for more info.

Thanks all.......FD75

Call back time varies send in your resume every 30 days. I got a call 2 days later, others got a call at a much later date. After u get a call the interview they will give u 2 options most likely 1 usually 2 weeks away the other 4 weeks away. We are getting 25 (i think is the number now) 170s will be our growth to come, i would say its 75/25 which airplane you will get 170 being the 75. Im in the 145 it is much slower growth than the 170. We are all same senority. I love it here I am on reserve, so i havent been here long. 170 base is only IND for now. Jr bases are BUF, STL, GSO, CMH pretty much in that order. email me this name @aol.com with any other questions.

Matt

I'll add what I can.

Not sure what the callback time is currently, but I do know that we hired nearly 300 pilots this year, and at least for awhile, it was moving pretty quick. Looks like with the E-170 deliveries and the remaining 145's, there should be at least another 200-250 pilots hired in the next year. I'll add that SDF is also a fairly junior base, which should be taken with a grain of salt. Right now, pretty much any 145 base with the exception of PHL and RIC, you would be able to hold within a few months, and most likely hold a line quickly as well. Most of the recent newhires are sitting one maybe two months of reserve depending on where you are based.

As far as QOL, there is the same bitching that you will hear anywhere. However, we do have pretty good working conditions. The pilot group and the flight attendants seem to get along much better than most of the other airlines that I have flown on (and I've seen pretty much all of it commuting), and most guys, again depending on where you are based, can hold 15 days off a month no problem.

Another nice benefit (subject to the company's whim) is our many bases. Some may disagree, but if you don't like commuting, having a bunch of bases gives you plenty of choices. Currently we have ten bases, but as I said, the company can randomly close bases (BOS for one) when the route structure dictates. My feeling is if you can't be happy at CHQ, you're probably not gonna be happy at any regional. I've worked for another Delta Connection regional, and can say that CHQ is a great place to be given the current state of the industry. You may not be moving on for awhile if ever, so let your decision be somewhere that you can be happy. Personally, I enjoy working here, and feel like I could make CHQ a long term destination if no better opportunities exist in the future. Best of Luck.

QOL at CHQ

I was hired in the middle of the year and was given CMH as a base right out of training. I was on reserve the first month and had a line the second. My third month I was awarded my 1st choice base: MCO. I've been on reserve ever since and because I live on base it is no big deal at all. I've actually been called for duty when on reserve for about 50% of the time. It sucked when I was in CMH my first month but it's great now that I live on base. It has worked out to having atleast 11 days confirmed off PLUS 8 - 10 days not being called to work while on base - Not bad at all.

Upgrade is currently running on a conservative estimate of 2.5 years. I figure we can't continue this growth for ever so my personal estimate is 4 years.

Preferential bidding is the norm here and it seems as if it has benefitted the junior folks more than the seniors. I think it might be a matter of learning the Pref Bidding intricacies since I've known of a handful of senior FO's and CA's who get exactly what they want from every schedule.

This is my first airline experience so I cannot make any educated first hand comparisons. However, a few of my friends that work for other regionals seem surprised at our schedules and the environment in which we work. CA's and FO's help the FA clean up the A/C when on quick turns and this small effort is returned in a fun atmosphere when we get together after flights.

E170's keep coming every week and it's great to see them across 9L in FLL in front of the Embraer hangar. I've had a good time here. I also share BUM's sentiment of making Chautauqua a long term destination.

RAV

Most of the upgrades this past year have been 18-24 months. I'm sure that figure will only go up as time goes on. Almost all bases are obtainable within 3 months, with the exception of PHL and RIC. Talking to my friends at different regionals, it seems that CHQ treats their pilots comparitively well, but the pay is a few dollars less depending on who you compare with. However, I think that the quality of life at CHQ more than makes up for the difference in pay. Good people at CHQ and I think almost anyone would enjoy their time here.

I sent an online app to CHQ back in Sept and never received a response at all. I had also sent my stuff to two other carriers, both of which ended up offering me jobs after the interview. My only guess is that you have to be persistant and try more than once, or you have to know someone on the inside. Who knows.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the information. I'm excited for the possibility of going to CHQ and will remain persistant.

Happy Thanksgiving.........FD75

Latest resources

Back