• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

brew3departure

Da Bears...Bears...Bears
Hello all,

Just curious - with the amazing growth going at CHQ nowadays and into the future, how long are new hires on reserve? I'm sure it varies base to base ... would especially be curious for anyone at STL or IND :)

Also, do you guys have any type of commuter policy?

And (last one, I promise), while on the subject of commuting out of the midwest - are the lines commutable?

The airline I used to fly for had two reserve schedules (AM and PM) - the AM started at 5 and the PM at 9 - of those, the latter was commutable one way but not ending at 11pm. Does CHQ have a similar reserve setup?

Alright - lots of questions here, thanks in advance for anyone who can shed any light on this.

Thanks much,
-brew3

Hey there,

Things are going allright for CHQ these days. The latest thing I heard is that we are hiring 60 a month with plans to have 1000 pilot by the end of the year. We are hiring all kinds of people from 1000 hr CFI's to ex TWA FO's to low time Purdue grads. <p>I would guess that reserve in STL would be 3-4 months and maybe a little less in IND. Lines in STL are actually pretty commutable but I hear lines in IND less so. There is no commuter policy (other than you call in sick). I understand that for the new contract there has already been an agreement on one. Reserve can start at either 5am, 8am, or noon in STL. Not sure about other bases. You can usually sweet talk scheduling into letting you start late on your first day and get off early on your last day when you get the hang of it. The commute from MKE (I assume since your name is BREW3) should be a piece of cake to STL. We must have three or four flights a day out of there. <p>Upgrade is probably one of the lowest in the industry right now. The pilot group is excellent and I feel that we are fairly unified regarding the goal of getting a decent (and much needed) contract soon. Hope this helps and if you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

cheers

Adrian

Reserve in Indy is running 1-2 months right now. Reserve schedules start at 4am, 5am, 6am, 11 am, or 12 pm and run for 12 hours at a time.

Lines in IND aren't very good for commuting. There are only a few good commutable lines here and they are usually snapped up right away. Another thing to keep in mind about Indy is that there aren't any crashpads. Pretty much everyone who is based here lives here.

If you can get STL, you will be better off as a cummuter. The lines are built better for that situation. Also, when you upgrade, chances are you will be St. Louis based anyway because of the pay difference between the 145 and the 140.

Good Luck:D

brew3departure said:

how long are new hires on reserve? I'm sure it varies base to base ... would especially be curious for anyone at STL or IND :)

Further to the question of time on reserve, what is the time to upgrade at the moment?

Thanks everyone!

To all who replied,

Thanks a bunch - answered all my questions :)

Hope to see some of you out there soon!

Take care,
-Brew3

reserve...

Talked to two new hires last week in STL. They finished IOE in early March and have hard lines for April. A lot has to do with the large number of CA upgrades over the past 2 months and continuing thru the next few months.

I'd say worst case, reserve after IOE (a couple weeks) and a build-up line after that, a hard line the next month.
BTW a build up is made of trips, reserve and sometimes charters.

Best case, IOE to a build up that next week, hard line thereafter.

good luck

lazy8s
:D

P.S. upgrade is probably running 2 years. That also has a lot to do with the economy because not too many people are leaving from the top.

bases...

Hi all,

How hard is to get LGA as a base?, and when you will normally find out where your base is going to be?
One more thing, how do they (CHQ) do selection of bases, basing on pilot age, S.S.# or what???

Thanks very much.

Seniority is based upon age, and I'm pretty sure that you bid for your initial domicile during your first week in INDOC.

LGA is easy to get as a base. A lot of new hires are being placed there right out of training.

Bases are awarded by bids. Seniority is date of hire, and is oldest to youngest for those with the same date of hire. Initial bid for bases is done during Indoc, and notification of base is given when they finalize the bid. Could be during indoc, but more likely when you get to STL for systems.

Bidding is done by filling out a Standing Bid Sheet. On this sheet, you will list every base in the order which you desire. Bases will be awarded to you if your seniority will allow. Say, for example, you are awarded your 4th choice right away. If your third choice becomes available the next month and no one senior to you wants that spot, you will be awarded it. So on and so forth until you get your number 1 choice. Now, say you got your 4th choice right away, and you absolutely loved it and wanted to stay. All you would have to do is submit a new Standing Bid Form with that base as your #1 choice. You can change your standing bid any time you want.

Once awarded a base, you cannot be removed from it unless the base closes or downsizes.:D

Latest resources

Back