CHQ class rumors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
June Interviews

If anyone from the June or later interviews get's the call for a class date. Please post it here so we can track what's going on. Thanks.

Anyone who has interviewed there in the last month and would be willing to discuss their experience, I would love to PM with you. Especially current/former 121 pilots.

Heard they were going to build up the pool for a couple sept and oct 145 classes so they will be ready to go for jan.

dugan jones said:
it wasn't a furlough it was a firing
Don't ever, ever forget this true fact. It absolutely positively was NOT a furlough. CHQ dumped the Saabs after 9/11 and FIRED all the probationary Saab pilots. 145 guys with LOWER seniority were retained.

The reasoning was:

1) Can't afford the 145 training costs for you Saab guys, and,

2) You are on probation so we don't need a reason to fire you. You are fired effective October 1, but we'd like you to finish your trip before you get the sack.

The Local 747 sprung boldly into action. Go here:

IP 01-1617-C M/S Teamsters v Chautauqua Airline

and you can read all the gory details, including about how well it turned out.

Exerpt:

...Indeed, Sowell admitted that he was aware that
the collective bargaining agreement required any § 6 notice to be served during July 17 to August 17 of 2001,

but that he declined to exercise that right for strategic reasons. He did not testify that anyone from

Chautauqua ever told him or even hinted that because the pilots were considering the tentative agreement

during that time frame, that the Company would excuse the Union from serving the statutory notice. This is

simply a case where the Union, for admittedly strategic reasons, determined not to serve § 6 notice. Because

it failed to do so, Chautauqua's failure to participate in mediation with the NMB was not unlawful.

Accordingly, the Court DENIES the Union's motion for a preliminary injunction on this matter....

...(2) The Court DISMISSES the Union's claim regarding the termination of the probationary

pilots and flight attendants for lack of subject matter jurisdiction. This dispute is a minor

dispute under the RLA and must be resolved with the appropriate adjustment board...

...(4) The Court DENIES the Union's motion for a preliminary injunction with respect to its claim

that Chautauqua unlawfully failed to participate in NMB-sponsored mediation. The Union

failed to serve § 6 notice on Chautauqua, and there is no evidence that Chautauqua waived

its right to insist upon such notice...

Last edited:
Oh, on topic. True fact, first hand: There were about 15-20 pilot interviews conducted over a 2 day period the week of July 10. I was at the offices and spoke to a few of the applicants. The guys said they were interviewing for the pool.

I understand there's a very good chance of Eagle reaquiring the AX stuff out of STL. Where will they go along with TSA guys that will be walking also? But with the CoEx thing, who knows.

Secondly, the 170 has a high lease payment. (Canadair knows they have an inferior product and knocked the bottom out of the prices on the 700) Delta cares about one thing, low cost and Republic will not be able to give that for the DC feed. I'd just watch carefully right now because this whole Delta thing with Mesa, RH, ASA, ComAir and SW, is about to become ugly. More so than what United pulled a few years back.

And I have no idea about furloughs, I just wanted to jump on the bandwagon and yell, "FIRE!" along with everybody else.

Turkey Shoot said:
Secondly, the 170 has a high lease payment. (Canadair knows they have an inferior product and knocked the bottom out of the prices on the 700) Delta cares about one thing, low cost and Republic will not be able to give that for the DC feed. I'd just watch carefully right now because this whole Delta thing with Mesa, RH, ASA, ComAir and SW, is about to become ugly. More so than what United pulled a few years back.

Also, the CRJ 900 has a 5% fuel burn advantage compared to the 170, according to our great System Chief. I can only assume that the 700 has a greater advantage.

Yes, I know that the feed operators don't pay for fuel, but Delta does, and they're the ones that pick the winning bidders.

I do agree that things are going to get very, very ugly in the DCI house.

some say that they have gotten teh 170 fuel burns under control, and are actually less than advetised by embraer, but i think it may be too little too late. BB may have hitched himself to a sinking ship.

Latest resources

Back