• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LearLove

China to recruit pilots from abroad
3zoom.gif
printResizeButton();
spacer.gif

Foreign pilots are to be drafted into Chinese airlines to relieve the shortage of qualified flyers, according to a soon-to-be-launched policy made by the General Administration of Civil Aviation of China (CAAC) on recruiting pilots from abroad, China Daily reported.

"Overseas pilots will be employed by Chinese carriers after obtaining flight licenses in China," Rao Shaowu, director of the CAAC's Flight Standard Department, was quoted as saying.

To do that, they must pass strict exams, he said.

China's booming commercial aviation industry is taking off faster than the country can train pilots, a trend threatening future growth and hard-won advances in air safety, the paper said.

CAAC statistics show that about 11,000 pilots are employed to fly more than 770 aircraft operated by the major Chinese commercial airlines, which industry experts consider as inadequate to cope with the rocketing demand for passenger services.

The demand for pilots is likely to increase as domestic carriers expand their fleets.

Around 145 new aircraft will be delivered for operation this year in China, and the new planes alone will push aircraft numbers beyond the capacity of training schools to supply new pilots.

Industry experts estimate China needs between 1,200 and 1,600 new pilots every year since 2000, while the nation's major training schools for commercial airline pilots can provide a maximum of 600 pilots annually.

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200507/28/eng20050728_198793.html

free burbon chicken at interview

Get caught bitchin' about your job, and you get "re-educated."

I bet the Chinese really know how to run an airline, what without any employee dissent or unions to worry about. ;)

KigAir said:
A couple of months ago, we had a CFI leave for a flight instructing job in China.
...and we never heard from him again :)

don't laugh too hard-- i have been over there and seen the growth. it is scary. Probably a good place to go get some "big" airplane experience for those that are finding it hard to catch a break. that whole pacific rim/asia area has a lot of aviation opportunity.

Flying Illini said:
...and we never heard from him again :)

I am not a CFI but from what the guy told me it sounded pretty good. He would be assigned a set number of students and would be responsible for their initial, instrument, commerical and multi-commerical training. They were using some type of Russian training aircraft.

KigAir said:
I am not a CFI but from what the guy told me it sounded pretty good. He would be assigned a set number of students and would be responsible for their initial, instrument, commerical and multi-commerical training. They were using some type of Russian training aircraft.
I'm sure it was a good deal. And a neat opportunity for him to spend some time in a booming country. He's getting an incredibly unique experience. I didn't mean anything by the comment, just another inappropriate smart@ss comment. I apologize.

Latest resources

Back