ChimpJet (RJ) Retirement Ceremony

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DrewBlows said:
I've seen three retirements at three different airports for three different companies (that I can think of). Two 328JETs and a CRJ. Full fire truck salute each time, and I got chills each time. I think it would still be a cool ceremony even if it were a beech 1900 under the spray. It's a nice tradition that I'm sure dates way back in the days of commercial aviation (I'd be interested to find out the origin of this particular tradition.

I believe it may have nautical roots, or at least a nautical equivilant. I have been present at a couple of ship retirements where a fire boat salute was involved. In addition, a change of command ceremony, which coincided with the ship's return to port, also included the fire boat salute. Nice touch.

I've never understood the allure of "the salute." Why drag the fire department guys out to do something so unconstructive? Who wants a plane load of strangers applauding or doing something stupid?

I'm already planning on telling my chief pilots "NO cake, NO picture, no nothing. I'm going to run as fast and as far as I can from the airport the moment I land."

I was the FO on an ALG guy's retirement flight. 34 years. He got the fire trucks, a special ATIS message, a little shingdig at the gate, family on his final flight, the whole deal. Very nice. From what I understand, he got out just in time.

Latest resources

Back