Chill out Delta!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SoberIrishman

So here I am, on final today for 26R in Atl, with a Delta A319 ahead who slams on the brakes at the marker. I'm already doing 160 kts, fully configured, on slope and stable, with a Delta 88 smelling my exhaust.
Tower tells us to do an S turn to the north for spacing and minimum time on the runway. Fair enough so far? We can see clearly out the darn window.
Obviously the 88 behind me wasn't listening (standard mainline practice), and asks what we're doing. S turns Mr 88!
The bus ahead just makes the 2nd turnoff in time for us to squeak in.
Mr 88 has to go around, and just can't resist chiming in with "going around, that RJ was pretty screwed up"
Well, of course if you guys could fly a proper visual approach, you might have made a landing out of it. Perhaps more sim practice might be in order.
So, Mr 88 blames us for a slowing A319 when really it was the final approach controllers fault. Go figure.

And, will you sky gods please stop asking for ride reports, how long is the final, and wind checks? Clutters up the frequencies too much.

But then, I must not get above my station, and as a lowly regional pilot, I must remember my place. At least I'm not an 88.....think about it.

Maybe this Great Lakes moved on to DAL and the MD-88. Back in the 90's I am doing training in the DHC-6 for Drummond Island Air. A scheduled 135 airline. We are using the old B-52 base in the Michigan UP, it is day VFR to the moon. I am on downwind, I announce "Twin Otter 30BV left downwind RW 33 XXX for touch and go" I then hear, "This is Great Lakes flt 1234 five miles out on the ILS 33", I response "Roger we are turning base and will be well clear of the runway by the time you get here" I then hear his response. "This is GL1234, I am a 135 scheduled commuter air carrier on an IFR flight plan, I have priority to that runway, you are required to go around and give me priority" I called back and said "This is 30BV, left base RW 33 XXX, this will be a stop and go" He had to go around. He said he was going to call the FAA, I gave him our POI's phone number, I never heard anything. I wondered if he ever called.

Better to go around than press on, but to be a jackwad about it is plain unprofessional. As long as the cash register is working properly I'm happy.

Goes hand in hand with what's going on over on the Major board. One easy fix would have been for the MD-88 to request the same S-turn to the north. Other than that, go around. And don't blame the guy in front of you because like you explained, many times it's the guy in front of him. Which happened to be another DL crewmember.

So here I am, on final today for 26R in Atl, with a Delta A319 ahead who slams on the brakes at the marker. I'm already doing 160 kts, fully configured, on slope and stable, with a Delta 88 smelling my exhaust.
Tower tells us to do an S turn to the north for spacing and minimum time on the runway. Fair enough so far? We can see clearly out the darn window.
Obviously the 88 behind me wasn't listening (standard mainline practice), and asks what we're doing. S turns Mr 88!
Mr 88 has to go around, and just can't resist chiming in with "going around, that RJ was pretty screwed up"
Well, of course if you guys could fly a proper visual approach, you might have made a landing out of it. Perhaps more sim practice might be in order.
So, Mr 88 blames us for a slowing A319 when really it was the final approach controllers fault. Go figure.

And, will you sky gods please stop asking for ride reports, how long is the final, and wind checks? Clutters up the frequencies too much.

But then, I must not get above my station, and as a lowly regional pilot, I must remember my place. At least I'm not an 88.....think about it.

Eh, don't let it get your dander up. I'm sure his subsequent go-around was probably a gong show, and the passengers aboard probably thought they hosed up the approach.

That go-around paid the Capt an extra $50 (15 mins). He probably wanted to thank you later...

Bye Bye---General Lee

Really now, not a big deal. Maybe the 88 was on his freedom leg and missed a commute home. Happens every day at ATL. Now LGA, that's where you'd think it would happen a lot. But everyone who lands there is usually on their game.

Latest resources

Back