Child custody/visitation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jetstream

I am going through a divorce. I have two children ages 15 and 12 (girl and boy). The main sticking point now is a visitation schedule. I hope to get 12-14 days a month with the kids.

Obviously the standard schedules don't fit well for a pilot so I'm looking for examples of how others have done this and how well it worked out.

Any help is much appreciated.

I am going through a divorce. I have two children ages 15 and 12 (girl and boy). The main sticking point now is a visitation schedule. I hope to get 12-14 days a month with the kids.

Obviously the standard schedules don't fit well for a pilot so I'm looking for examples of how others have done this and how well it worked out.

Any help is much appreciated.

First off Sorry dude, sad to see this with the children at those ages. My buddy has two boys 5-7 and he pretty much keeps them when he gets back in town. He probably spends more time with them then their mother.

I all comes down to how your ex-wife is. If she is a real bitch then it can make your job with the kids much harder.

Good Luck

First off Sorry dude, sad to see this with the children at those ages. My buddy has two boys 5-7 and he pretty much keeps them when he gets back in town. He probably spends more time with them then their mother.

I all comes down to how your ex-wife is. If she is a real bitch then it can make your job with the kids much harder.

Good Luck

Well, I can only offer two examples, myself and a friend who went about it pretty differently.

I went the easy route, I live in base and about 20 min from my daughter. I get every other weekend with her so I bid reserve or a schedule I can trade the hell out of so as to have those weekends off. I also bid high-speed/CDO reserve and that allows me to pick her up from school often during the week.

My friend, however, arranges his schedule through bidding, begging and treachery to get the majority of his time off all at once every month. Makes for a pretty tough work schedule, but uses the time off so his daughter essentially moves in with him.

Good luck, and with all that in mind, the most important thing to you will be the relationship with your ex.

My divorce was many years ago, but a lot depends on how cooperative your ex is. My divorce was a "friendly" type and my ex was very use to the "airline life" (never knowing for sure what your schedule is from month to month). Anyway, lawyers suggested and we agreed to "open" visitation. Basically that meant that when I got my schedule, I would call my ex and work out the visitation. The Judge agreed to this and also said if we had any serious problems,I could come back to court and he would set the visitation. Anyway for a little over 4 years ( my daughter turned 18 then) it worked out great. No problems. Good luck.

My divorce was many years ago, but a lot depends on how cooperative your ex is. My divorce was a "friendly" type and my ex was very use to the "airline life" (never knowing for sure what your schedule is from month to month). Anyway, lawyers suggested and we agreed to "open" visitation. Basically that meant that when I got my schedule, I would call my ex and work out the visitation. The Judge agreed to this and also said if we had any serious problems,I could come back to court and he would set the visitation. Anyway for a little over 4 years ( my daughter turned 18 then) it worked out great. No problems. Good luck.

Thats just what I have been proposing and my attorney did another divorce for a pilot using that arrangement. However, my wife is arguning that I will be "dictating" the visitation schedule to her.

Thats just what I have been proposing and my attorney did another divorce for a pilot using that arrangement. However, my wife is arguning that I will be "dictating" the visitation schedule to her.

My only suggestion now would go before the judge and explain it to him. Let him know you don't have a "normal" 8 to 5, Mon to Fri. type job. I think any fair judge would understand this and try to work something out. Keep in mind during all of this, that your wife does NOT, repeat, NOT have the final say in any of this. As I said in my previous post, my divorce was friendly. But what I've seen in other cases, be "nice" if possible. However if your wife is being a bitch, then I suggest you be the biggest bastard possible (of course try to keep the kids out of the bitch/bastard part if at all possible)! Once again, good luck.

I'm sorry you're ging throug this time men. I've been there my self....My advice is you both are the parent's. They need you, and they need mom!!!. Open visitation is the best for ever one!!!
If for some reason you have a hearing or court day about visitation, remember this is not about you two and the divorce but the kids!!!

take care and good luck

Last edited:
I'm sorry you're ging throug this time men. I've been there my self....My advice is you both are the parent's. They need you, and they need mom!!!. Open visitation is the best for ever one!!!
If for some reason you have a hearing or court day about visitation, remember this is not about you two and the divorce but the kids!!!

take care and good luck

Dead center bullseye, Buddha. The kids are neither pawns nor the spoils of war. They are kids. Your differences with your ex don't matter.

If either parent loses sight of that it is the children who will suffer.

I have an 8 year old daughter. Never married but her mom and I split up a few years ago. We live about 5 min apart. I get my daughter nearly all the time when I'm home. We typically work out the arrangements on a weekly basis. If you keep things civil it shouldn't be a problem. Your kids are at the age where they should be able to decide for themselves. If the mom is a total biatch beware of "parental alienation" which is Dr. Phil talk for mom talking too much crap about dad. It's considered a form of abuse and you could use that against her. Good luck!

Latest resources

Back