Chief Pilot vs. Dept. Manager

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

byrmar

How would you guys/gals define the difference between the duties of a chief pilot and those of a dept. manager? Just wanting to see if my ideas are in line with others. Thanks.

From NBAA salary survey

Aviation Dept. Mgr. I (does not fly)​
Reports to company officer and is responsible for overall operation of aviation unit. Does not pilot aircraft and spends all time in nonflying managerial activities.​
Aviation Dept. Mgr. II (does some flying)​
Reports to company officer and is responsible for overall operation of aviation unit. Spends some or a major portion of time piloting aircraft.​

Chief Pilot​
Pilots aircraft majority of time; supervises pilot training and selection; responsible for maintaining proficiency of pilots; may fulfill manager responsibilities when needed. In department where no manager exists, reports to company officer and may be responsible for overall operation of aviation unit.​

Well I've been called both, and although I agree with the above post in general, it all boils down to the same thing at some departments. Many Chief Pilots out there are essentially Flight Department managers, maintenance planning, budget development, scheduling etc. Consider that the more responsibilities you accept, the more valuable you are to your company, titles are a dime a dozen.

I've also heard of a Dpt Mgr being over rotorwing and fixed wing. They have a chief pilot over the fixed and a chief over the roto

Latest resources

Back