• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BoilerUP

Citation style...
Round Lake corporate pilot charged with theft

By Frank Abderholden
Dec 6, 2010

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

Rick James Hanson, 45, of the 250 block of Blackthorn Court in Round Lake, has been charged with one count of theft over $100,000 - $500,000. Hanson, the chief pilot for Family Video, a national DVD and video game chain based in Illinois, has been arrested after submitting nearly half a million dollars in forged aviation fuel receipts on his personal expense account

It almost sounds like a bad movie that went straight to video.

A Round Lake man who was chief pilot for Family Video, a national DVD and video game chain with a number of stores in Lake County, allegedly faked aviation fuel receipts for flying executives across the country, and used the nearly $500,000 for gifts and vacations.

Rick James Hanson, 45, of the 250 block of Blackthorn Court, was charged with one count of theft over $100,000 to $500,000, Cook County Sheriff Thomas Dart said Monday. Hanson was arrested at home Friday by the members of the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Financial Crimes Unit.

Hanson has been the company pilot for Family Video executives for 10 years, flying the company’s Citation 5 jet. While he had access to an aviation fuel credit card, he also was able to submit expense reports related to his flights.

Dart said the investigation began when the Glenview-based company hired a new bookkeeper. Family Video officials noticed excessive fuel receipts and discrepancies on Hanson’s expense reports dating back to 2007.

When investigators presented their evidence to Hanson, he admitted to the acts, saying he’d spent in excess of $400,000 on luxurious vacations and shopping trips, Dart said.

Hanson, who was immediately fired upon discovery of the fraud, posted 10 percent of a $100,000 bond on Saturday at Cook County Jail.

Family Video stores are located in Zion, Waukegan, Round Lake Beach, Mundelein, Lindenhurst and Grayslake.

Thats priceless....most pilots feel like they won if they can sneak through a night of drinking or strip bar dollars in the expense report...:laugh:

I work for a very small company with much bigger numbers than Family Video and I'm pretty confident a $1000 error would be noticed well within 30 days.

Sounds like the new bookkeeper was about 10 years overdue. LOL.

What was that guy thinking!

Thats priceless....most pilots feel like they won if they can sneak through a night of drinking or strip bar dollars in the expense report...:laugh:

I work for a very small company with much bigger numbers than Family Video and I'm pretty confident a $1000 error would be noticed well within 30 days.

yes sir!;)

He was paying off the old accountant, no doubt.

An to think, our number cruncher flung a fit over two business class tix for us on a repo flight.

Guess I need to stop swiping the occasional cookie from the catering trays!

I think they're a little busy trying NOT to follow Blockbuster.

TC

Funny. I met Rick once on the road, they were looking to hire a pilot and I flew similar equipment. He told me Family Video was in a "recession proof business" and that no matter how bad things got people could "always spare a dollar to rent a movie". This was back in 2003, too bad people are using those dollars for Netflix. D'OH!!!!!

I didn't pursue the lead.

Latest resources

Back